Ideas Wanted: Custom Instrument Mounting

XStretchified650

Back in the 650 Saddle
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas for my rebuild here. I am going to to reuse the stock tachometer and speedo. I also plan on using the stock ignition switch. I don't want to reuse the stock 'hunka pilot lights' cluster. I would like to set up the pilot lights clean and simple.

I can start from scratch or cut up and reweld the stock gauge bracket in some inventive way. The pilot lights is the easy part, I want a cool way to mount the gauges. Looking for ideas please...I'd like to see what others have come up with.

Thanks.

I found a tach that had the turn indicators and the high beam indicator lights in it, may be from an sr model yammie. I cut the tree off, moved the lights into the tach and made room for the voltmeter.

dustoff003.jpg

Here I moved the ignition switch to the left side, easy to do. You lose the fork lock, but if somebody wants your bike bad enough.......
keyswitch001.jpg

Thanks nj1639. It sounds like you reused the original instrument bracket but cut off the part that went up inside the plastic light cluster. Is the volt meter in the original ignition switch hole?

It's in the location but mounted to the original cluster frame, with the upper trimmed off. Trying to remember if I had to drill a couple of holes for the voltmeter or if there were a couple of holes to mount it right on.
Voltmeter came from Tractor Supply, well worth the couple bucks that it cost and has saved my bacon on one occasion already....alerted me to a charging problem in my safety relay system before it became a serious issue, kudos to retiredgentleman for the idea of the meter, I monitor it as I ride.

Back