Identifying wiring harness

Hasspen

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1981 Special with a very abused wiring harness.
Earlier I thought of building me my own harness but time is not something that I have a lot of. So, I'm thinking of buying a harness from Heiden Tuning in Holland (same things as MikesXs).

But I can't really figure out which model of harness I need.
I think I have figured out that I dont have the TCi-ignition, so that rules out one of the harnesses that Heiden provides.

Does anyone here have any idea of how to identify which harness I need? What shall I look for on my bike?

- are the frame and engine matching numbers
- correct identification is only possible from these numbers - the year given above is often that of first registration rather than production...TCI models dont have the advance mechanism and do have a black pickup unit on the stator
- look for the presence of safety lockouts on the sidestand, clutch...separate or integrated rectifier-regulators, single or twin coils, condensors, on-off headlight switch.......

Yea a real hassle buying and matching the US gear to the overseas Special models that didn't have the TCI after 1979 Special

We didn't get the TCI models in Aus,
the 80 and 81 both have the points............. I had a 78 Special harness i had picked up in some parts, I took the 80 loom off as it was shit and the 78 hooked up good.
Differences i found,
78/79 rev counter has the ignition and headlight high beam lights, in the 80 and on the rev counter has the headlight high beam light only,

78 Special loom has a light checker unit, 80 and later dose not

I used the 78SE wiring diagram (US) and the 78 loom (Aus) and they matched

Our 80 and 81 didn't have the combined Reg/Rectifier or the side-stand cut off switch.
79SF and 2F wiring diagrams (as below) don't have the light on off switch on the right hand bar switch assembly the 78SE does (as below)

Attachments

• 10703-78xs650se.jpg
    10703-78xs650se.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 10703-79xs650sf_2f.jpg
    10703-79xs650sf_2f.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 104
I got a Heiden wiring harness from Mikes and it spot on with the exception of a wiring error. The yellow AGC line from the alternator was tied to the yellow circuit causing the taillight to come on when the motor is running as well as cycle the safety relay. To fix it, you break into the harness at the main trunk near the frame down tube. Or you can chase the yellow AGC lead. Fixing this wiring issue also sorted out what I thought was a weak stator.
It's all good now.

Back