If your under 30 do you know what this is?

Or before those, I remember my dad using a glass quart bottle with a screw on metal spout. He filled the quart bottle from 2 1/2? gallon sears oil cans.
We were in the garage changing the oil in the 59 Buick using the glass bottle, he was wearing his old coveralls with a white tee shirt showing. Thanks for dragging up that memory. Dad's been gone for 20 years now.

My Dad had a few of the glass bottles with screw on metal funnels. We also had a few of those push in spouts for oil cans kicking around too. Topping off the ol' Rambler station wagon and mom's '67 bug. It was a bit tricky topping off the the 3 1/2 hp clinton engine on the Yazoo lawnmower with the spout. Those were the days.

Those things either leaked like sieves or when you set them on the can and pushed down to punch the hole the cardboard can would bend and start leaking. Good memories!

I remember the cans:

0341.JPG

Flash from the past and i think PEP BOYS still sells them. I have spilled more oil on the ground then in the car in my GAS STATION years. Now lets get old from all you old GAS PUMP JOCKEYS. Where was the gas inlet on a 1956 Chevy 210 or even a 1959 CADDY. It was fun back then walking around the car 100 times trying to find the gas tank.
You got to bronze that and put it on the wall.

Wasn't pump a jocky but remember some cars had a tail light that pivoted to reveal the gas cap. Ah the days ,when that was what kept the engineering department busy.......

Flash from the past and i think PEP BOYS still sells them. I have spilled more oil on the ground then in the car in my GAS STATION years. Now lets get old from all you old GAS PUMP JOCKEYS. Where was the gas inlet on a 1956 Chevy 210 or even a 1959 CADDY. It was fun back then walking around the car 100 times trying to find the gas tank.
You got to bronze that and put it on the wall.

behind the left tail light ,the 56 bellair had it there too
my best friend had a 56 chevy in high school and I had a 66 mastang those were the days and dont forget $.28gallon gas

Last edited:
OK guys, since we're talking old cars and truck, here's one the younger guys will have no clue.

Cars and trucks in the early 1950's had a strange method to operate the windshield wipers. How did they work and bonus points if you can tell us what the main problem was with that design.

Last edited:
OK guys, since we're talking old cars and truck, here's one the younger guys will have no glue.

Cars and trucks in the early 1950's had a strange method to operate the windshield wipers. How did they work and bonus points if you can tell us what the main problem was with that design.

i know that answer :D i had a 1950 GMC panel truck. you know the truck Gravedigger

Well done gggGary and I am Carbon.

There used to be a hill about 3 blocks from our home, when I was a teenager. We had a 1953 Pontiac, and as soon as we would head up that hill in a heavy rain, the engine vacuum would drop and the wipers would stop:yikes:. I wonder which engineer designed that system??

Back