If your under 30 do you know what this is?

My '62 Falcon had vacuum wipers. They sucked.
Fun Fact: Most know that the VW bug came out in '49, but didn't realize that it finally got a gas gauge in '62.
It previously came with a stick to check. The reserve tilt lever, to get a little more fuel, was on the trans linkage hump.

I remember the cans,I wish we'd had those pouring handles here in the UK,I used to get plastered in oil nearly everytime I opened/poured one!

I was always a motor head since i was 14 yrs old and owned many bikes and cars and DRAG RACE on the streets of Phila. for years. Got thrown in jail many times and held the record in PA for three years for the most points on your licence . Now saying that and looking back at buying everything for next to nothing back then. I had a good life growing up back then even that the law caught up to me and i spent some time away. But old shit still happens in Phila. Still street race cop still try to shut the races down but now the cost of a gallon of gas would have kept me in cig's for a week back then.Cars and bikes were cheap to buy and you destroyed them and just went a bought another. I left a 59 VETTE crashed upside down on Delaware Ave racing and rolled it took my tags off and walked away. If you got busted back then and the cops left your car by the time you got out you had a shell. That was life. There use to be a city bone yard under a bridge in Phila. and all it took was a bottle of whiskey or a carton of CIG'S and you went shopping for new parts.I could write a book and make money. In High School we all just went to shop class thats it and then once a week we played a game to see who can steal the best car by last period.
So now today if i did any of that crazy shit i would be away for life. Three strike rule now!!! 50's 60's 70's were a blast. HEHEHE!!!!
So be good it ain't going to happen now!

More immigrants that'll help. I feel for you Carbon I have been to Florida a few times and was amazed at how low wages are there. You'd get $20 here but have to pay for heat and deal with the cold, at -20F that ain't trivial...........

OK lets talk money
My first job was $1.75 hr in 1973 it was $2.75 hr
My first motorcycle shop $400.00 month rent $19.95 Hr labor
I was a JAMMER DEALER before i bought into a HONDA DEALERSHIP
Paid Jammer $10,000.00 for my area All of Phila/Del/ and part of Jersey
Thats how it worked. 4 guys doing work
Now a shop can open up across the street from you and the same vendors will sell to him like they sold to you. NO LOYALTY
I use to spend 3 months a year in FL and a buddy of mine owns a HARLEY joint in Stewart and we would go there and work for him and got half of what we got up here.So i know what carbon is saying. If you don't cut grass or know air condition you are screwed.

Times were so tough that............
We got into the iron and steel business,

My wife took in ironing and I went out stealing.
Badda bing.

Found one in my shop the other day. I put it in my small collection of antique tools that includes several old Model A Ford tools and an assortment of odds and ends tools once used by mechanics and carpenters.

Vacuum wipers mostly disappeared in the late 50s to early 60s on cars but were still around on some Ford and GM trucks until the early 70s. I once had a jeep that had vacuum wipers with little handles on the inside that allowed the driver and passenger to move the wipers by hand when the vacuum dropped too low.

And don't forget those old vacuum operated brakes that wouldn't work if the engine stalled. Those were fun!

Last edited:
I remember them. That was back in the day when they had what they called "full service gas stations". Dad would pull in for a tank of gas and about three guys would come out and one would pump the gas while the other two were busy washing your windshield, checking the pressure in your tires, and pulling the dipstick to check your oil. It was like a NASCAR pit stop. Now if you want air you better have some change in your pocket and for the rest of it, well, have at it. The attendant now days is the guy that just sells smokes and beer and collects your money. jefft

Last edited:
That's cool. I wish knew people like you guys. Everyone my age is worried about dumb stuff. I think I need to move.

Anyway on this old tool subject, I was surprised by how smart people used to be and how dumb people are now. I guess old trucks had a hollowed out spark plug that would attach to a hose so people could put air in their tires? Too bad most people can't even change a tire these days...

Posted via Mobile

That guy Frank, on "American Pickers", is an old oil can junkie. He gets all fired up when he see's one. He probably has a thousand in his house I bet.
There's an antique store here that has a case of Mobil oil, still in the cans, for sale. I think they want something like $100.00 for it.

Back