Ignition Swap to Toggle Switch

fiveohindc

'77 XS650
Reaction score
Okay, I've read a few posts on this and SOMEHOW I STILL cannot fathom how to make this work.
All I want to do is-- OFF: bike is off. ON: Bike does everything the second position (run) on the standard ignition does. I dont care about "park" position because who the hell uses that anyway?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD i have heard 70 different answers on this (single pole, dual something or other?) plus various AMP ratings. Can anyone tell me what I need with a link or something? I'm near a radio shack, auto parts places, etc. But there are too many to choose from.

I have 5 wires coming out of the ignition so I imagine I'd have to do a little magic..... I just wanna ride this weekend!!!!

Just a single pole 20 amp is fine. This should be right; Connect brown, blue, and red/white wires together on one terminal and red (battery) goes on the other, done.

The 77 diagram shows 4 wires on the iggy switch.

View attachment 22982

yes, you're right, I just can't count. ;)

So, I got a switch and it has Power, ACC, and Ground. Red on positive I got, but now about this "acc"... it has what looks like a headlight image on it. Should I ignore it and put all the wires to the ground side or.... ?

As you can tell, I'm new at this, but enjoying the heck out of it, with the help of gracious dudes such as yourself.

So, I got a switch and it has Power, ACC, and Ground. Red on positive I got, but now about this "acc"... it has what looks like a headlight image on it. Should I ignore it and put all the wires to the ground side or.... ?

As you can tell, I'm new at this, but enjoying the heck out of it, with the help of gracious dudes such as yourself.

Good luck, you'll get it. I almost used a series of 5 mini switchs that had to be in a specific order to work. Kind of a combination lock ignition. Decided aginst the extra work after I put my hand on my soldering iron. I was working at like 3 am. Dont solder sleepy.

sounds like a illuminated switch, Red to Power, everything else to ACC. and a separate ground (Frame ground) to Ground, when switch is on it will light up

Back