Interchangeable cylinder heads

What cylinder heads are Interchangeable?

• head wanted

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • head info wanted

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

James1988

XS650 Member
Reaction score
po.jpg
My 1972 broke down on me a week or so ago. I was very bummed to find what i found.

poo.jpg

The nut from the rear right tappet came loose and the cam munched it!

poop.jpg

So i need a new cylinder head!! I think the only difference in the heads are that a few years (mine included) have a four bolt tappet cover? if anyone has any more info on Interchangeable cylinder heads or a lead on a 1972 head i'm all ears
thanks
J

I believe any year head will work. You will have to use your cam maybe the left exhaust rocker?

XS1 and XS1B had a different gasket surface pattern on heads and cylinders. Heads from 1972 forward will interchange. Be sure to buy a head with a matching rocker box. Those parts were line bored to allow a precise fit for the camshaft bearings, and they're stamped with numbers that should match.

I just explained why you'd be rolling the dice to do that. Sometimes you get lucky, but you'd be risking a warped rocker cover (fit too tight or off center) or spun camshaft bearings (fit too loose), but do what you want to do. Repeat--any head from 72 forward will fit, matching the gasket surfaces on XS2 cylinders. Deck height, etc. didn't change.

Last edited:
Back