Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

And the infamous motor.......
Ovalpiston.jpg

I didn’t think you mistook it. I just wanted to iterate that the FTR is a performance machine. Also, @46th Georgia, we are the same age. We aren’t geezers, yet. ;)
Maybe you're not a geezer, me? I carry a flip phone, a revolver and cash, no debit card, I drive a '97 Grand Marquis and a '94 F-350 Diesel. You Kids get off my lawn!!!

I remember reading a article on that motor. The pistons were not a big deal to make. Boring the cylinders was a slight challenge. Making the rings was the hardest part. But they got it done.
Development took years and must have cost Honda a fortune. Which they cannot have recouped, even at $50,000 a pop. Why did they do it?

Probably because they could.

Rules limited them to 4 pistons More valves = more flow=more hp. 4 intakes per piston is better than 2 per piston.
That was the rationale given for the 500cc racer in the late '70s, which cost a shed load of money and development time and never gained the success Honda were undoubtedly chasing. They backed down and built the NS500 2-stroke racer. Having failed to win big on the track with an oval-piston 4-stroke, they eventually went to a 750cc road bike. Only built, according to some sources, 322 examples. Was this to justify the development costs? Face-saving exercise?

Back