Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

Close enough to a Super Glide Yes. Step up from a Sporty, nah. No more than an apple is a step up from an orange.
In Harley marketing it IS a step up but I'm one of the " I never wanted a Harley but, I always wanted a Sportster." guys.
And that's a good looking bike!
You're right, apples/oranges. The only thing about a Sportster is if you're over 6', they're a little small for long trips, whereas the Lowrider is roomier and rides better.

Speaking of Super Glides, here is my '81 FXE 80 with 106,000 mi. bought from the original owner in '89 with 18,000mi.
Great, reliable scoot if cared for properly. It ain't no Honda. :laugh:
CIMG1975.JPG

Last edited:
Speaking of Super Glides, here is my '81 FXE80 with 106,000 mi. bought from the original owner in '89 with 18,000mi.
Great, reliable scoot if cared for properly. It ain't no Honda. :laugh:
View attachment 222489
Shovelheads were a little (a lot) more maintainance intensive than Evo's or Twin Cam's. Other than the cam chain tensioner update, my '05 R.K. has had nothing done to it besides oil and filter changes, batteries, brake pads and tires at 62,000+ miles. H-D has gotten much better over the years (they had no choice), but they are not, and probably never will be as trouble free as the U.M.J. BTW, nice 'Glide.

Shovelheads were a little (a lot) more maintainance intensive than Evo's or Twin Cam's. Other than the cam chain tensioner update, my '05 R.K. has had nothing done to it besides oil and filter changes, batteries, brake pads and tires at 62,000+ miles. H-D has gotten much better over the years (they had no choice), but they are not, and probably never will be as trouble free as the U.M.J. BTW, nice 'Glide.
Thanks!
Top end at 25k,
Blown trans at 56k
Full rebuild at 80k with S&S goodies. (Still 80 ci)
Bent valve at 100k :banghead:
New top end and valve train as it sits now
Etc, etc etc

XL500.jpg

I've had two. GREAT bikes. First one new in Florida in '81 or '82. Temporary insanity caused me to trade it for a '78 Goldwing.

Second one sometime in the early '90s after I retired from the Navy. Didn't take long to discover that trail/fire road riding ain't for old men. Sold it for what I paid for it.

Took the ole DT3 out for 75 mile ride today, 30 of which was on State ORV trails through very tight woods and mudholes. Forgot how much fun that can be (and tiring). Had to keep up with a fellow rider 25 years younger riding a much newer TT250 4 stroke. Fun fun...and she kept up!

Attachments

• 16611168492855065153750432122707.jpg
    16611168492855065153750432122707.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 41
Took the ole DT3 out for 75 mile ride today, 30 of which was on State ORV trails through very tight woods and mudholes. Forgot how much fun that can be (and tiring). Had to keep up with a fellow rider 25 years younger riding a much newer TT250 4 stroke. Fun fun...and she kept up!
Sorry....prob should have posted this in the "just ride" thread, but doesn't the DT3 count as an "interesting motorcycle" lol?

Back