Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

We’re is that documented? I’m interested.
She wrote the book 'Lois on the Loose'. Not great literature but a very good read, complete with her travellers' introspection on loneliness and hardships and the minor irritations that beset a woman biker on such an epic ride. Even harrowing in places. I see it is available in the UK from Abe books for £1.69 - must be readily available in the US as well.

2.PNG

3.PNG

I know people who have gobbled huge miles on a KLR, even two-up and camping.
I think it's pretty common for that. For a while I was following two Westerners riding the back roads of Asia on them. There was lots of getting bike parts fixed and replaced in local ways... In the trend toward huge bikes and huge pickup trucks both a lot of charm was lost

Jim, isn't it amazing how once upon a time, one could travel all over on 350-500cc bikes (including Robert Pirsig). Now you need at least a 900 and that's a middle weight at best..lol.

Yup - totally concur.

I rode a 1975 Honda CB360T (6-speed box) all over eastern North America and put more than 60,000 miles on it (!!) without any major issues. It wasn't too gutsy but I could "keep up with the Jones'" on the highway and it was just fine around town. When I travelled I have my stuff strapped on the back of the seat with bungees and it worked quite well.

The pace when riding two-up was....stately - but I didn't want to scare the pants off my GF.

Pete

Yup - totally concur.

I rode a 1975 Honda CB360T (6-speed box) all over eastern North America and put more than 60,000 miles on it (!!) without any major issues. It wasn't too gutsy but I could "keep up with the Jones'" on the highway and it was just fine around town. When I travelled I have my stuff strapped on the back of the seat with bungees and it worked quite well.

The pace when riding two-up was....stately - but I didn't want to scare the pants off my GF.

Pete
Was this the era of the well enforced 55 limit. I recall hours on end running 59-62mph across AZ and CA in those days. Bed roll strapped on the tank, duffle behind me on the seat.

Was this the era of the well enforced 55 limit. I recall hours on end running 59-62mph across AZ and CA in those days. Bed roll strapped on the tank, duffle behind me on the seat.

Yeah - but I live in Canada where our big highways had a 70 mph limit in those days and I was still OK on the little Honda.

...having said that, behaving myself with respect to speed sure made travel in the US, inexpensive.

Last edited:
Back