Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

I mean, what could possibly go wrong.
CBX2000.
FB_IMG_1710501250722.jpg

1710465362541.png

This Day in Harley-Davidson History – March 13, 1937 – a Harley-Davidson set the land speed record for two-wheeled vehicles with a speed of 136.183 mph!
On March 13, 1937, Joe Petrali set a land speed record of 136.183 miles per hour at Daytona. He rode a blue 1936 EL equipped with a 61 cubic inch Knucklehead engine that was specially designed for the attempt. It featured low-slung handlebars, a fairing made from a cut and reshaped gas tank, and a rear tail fin assembly for aerodynamics.
The tail fin had to be removed for the official attempt, though, because of the vibration it caused. This race marked the beginning of Harley-Davidson’s pursuit of land speed records. Since then, Harley-Davidson has built a variety of vehicles that have broken several different classes of land speed records.

I don’t know anything about this but looked cool.

View attachment 264012

I think I see how that works. The little gears are driven by a vertical shaft that is inside the tube (looks like a pushrod tube) on the rear-side of the cylinder.

The gears in-turn rotate that roundy-looking "button cam" component and that actuates the valves. I guess that avoided having a camshaft in the engine block.

Interesting - but a bit of a deadend.

I will say that I have no idea as to the brand or vintage of that engine though.

Pete

Last edited:
I think I see how that works. The little gears are driven by a vertical shaft that is inside the tube (looks like a pushrod tube) on the rear-side of the cylinder.

The gears in-turn rotate that roundy-looking "button cam" component and that actuates the valves. I guess that avoided having a camshaft in the engine block.

Interesting - but a bit of a deadend.

I will say that I have no idea as to the brand or vintage of that engine though.

Pete
Well... now I know what a "button cam" is!

1710696895131.png

Ed"Ironman" Kretz, winner at the Laconia 200-mile TT race in 1938. It was at that race he got his nickname "Ironman", when he despite hardships won at the end. He fell off the bike, he lost one footplate, gravel in the carb and so on. He solved it all and won.

Back