Intro and Valve Spring Compression Tool Question

JTD1989

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently created an account, but I have visited to the forum to learn and have specific questions answered for several years. I bought my XS650 several years ago and it ran pretty rough when I bought it. I cleaned out the carbs and it ran better for awhile but eventually died on me and I couldn't get it started.

The PO was not the one who built the bike and I have limited information about the history of the motor and what work has been done so I decided to strip it down to at least the top end and see what is going on. This is my first major mechanical undertaking by myself. I have done some routine maintenance on cars, trucks, and bikes, but my mechanical experience is limited.

I have done extensive research on the forum and also the Haines manual, the free manual from biker.net, and the general overhaul instructions from MikesXS and I have successfully removed the engine and torn it down to the case carefully disassembling, taking pictures, and labeling as I go. I am currently waiting on a telescoping gauge in the mail so I can check the wear on my cylinder bores.

Anyway, while I have the engine open I want to check the condition of the valve stems. Especially since there are signs of trauma in the engine (beat up place on the top inside of the head cover and matching area underneath the cam - see images). So my question is: Do I need to buy the specialized $90 tool from Mikes to compress the springs? Or is there a generic valve spring compressing tool at auto parts stores that would work with other engines also? Can I rig something up using a large C-clamp or something? I haven't been able to find much discussion on the actual process of compressing the springs and it is usually just glossed over in the manuals (probably because this is basic knowledge to an experienced mechanic) so I just wanted to check before buying a $90 tool I may only use one time. Thanks so much!
IMG-2679.jpg
IMG-2679.jpg
IMG-2680.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah done the springs with a c-clamp and collar no problem. Made this years ago. Prolly extreme overkill but it was a $1 garage sale c-clamp. LOL.
spring compressor (800x597).jpg

Your head damage likely the result of someone not tightening a tappet nut properly.

Thanks gggGary. That's kind of what I had in mind. It would seem to me you just need something to apply pressure and distribute it over the top of the spring evenly. I just didn't want to do anything that would cause damage.
That's interesting. One of my pistons had marks from something getting down into the cylinder also. I wonder if it was the same incident.

Thanks GLJ I have read that several times and plan to follow it closely as I rebuild. It is a great resource. Unfortunately he doesn't go into the valves. If I end up having to overbore my cylinders I will probably get a quote from the machine shop for the valves as well.

Thanks GLJ I have read that several times and plan to follow it closely as I rebuild. It is a great resource. Unfortunately he doesn't go into the valves. If I end up having to overbore my cylinders I will probably get a quote from the machine shop for the valves as well.
Hi JTD... welcome to the site. Yeah, I didn't go into detail on a valve job because as I said in that thread.... "I'm not going to go into any detail on the valve job because if you have all the tooling to do a proper one... then you probably already know how to do one.... and for that matter, how to install it. In which case, you're probably not even reading this... ;) So, we're going on faith here that you sent your head out and had the professionals do it."
I've got a head that needs one, so perhaps I'll do a how-to thread on that. I know that won't help you now but looks like that's something we need in the Tech section.
Hopefully @Mailman will chime in here. I know he bought a compressor that was stupid cheap and worked great, so let's see what he says. Like Gary, I made my own spring compressor with scrap I had just layin' around.

IMG_20171007_162432325.jpg

IMG_20171007_162242021.jpg

Hey Jim, that would be amazing if you end up doing a thread on the valves. Even if it is too late to help me out by the time you get it up, I'm sure it would be helpful for everyone else. Your top end instructions are very thorough, organized, and clear with great pictures. Its very helpful for those of us who have read the manuals but are not mechanics :D

Hey JTD, congratulations for jumping in with both feet on a new experience. My background sounds pretty close to yours and this was my first engine build as well. It’s really nothing to be intimidated by. I bought the exact tool that 5Twins recommended, it’s no Snap On unit but it works perfectly And is very intuitive to use. The mailman dropped it off and literally within 15 minutes I had all my valves out, it also makes assembly a breeze. I highly recommend it.
84D9BAD6-99A2-4508-9874-BC73E6501A65.jpeg
F555C0CC-87BA-43B0-89C1-6EA9A9C84F82.jpeg
AD13C11A-D7D1-4C44-A902-069820FB5B9E.jpeg
070AA345-039A-4BFE-AAD7-6DDA11680259.jpeg

Cool I just ordered the ebay spring compressor you guys suggested. I would love to make my own but I don't have a welder or metal-working tools other than an angle grinder. Thanks for the advice! Is there a good way for me to tell if the valves are perfectly straight once I pull 'em out? I read a comment by 5twins in another thread that said to stick it in a drill and spin it. Will it be obvious if there are subtle bends in the stem?

5twins in another thread that said to stick it in a drill and spin it. Will it be obvious if there are subtle bends in the stem?

Oh yeah, if you’ve got a cordless drill , and you chuck the valve stem in there. Set the drill stationary on a table top And spin it slowly , if it’s at all bent , you will clearly see it move up and down.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I can't wait for my tool to get here. If I have a separate, unrelated question about my rebuild should I start a new thread for it instead of posting it in this thread? For the purpose of it being searchable for others

I think it would be to your benefit to start a build thread, post some photos of your bike, tell us what your plans are and post your progress within that thread. It’s a good way for us to follow along and for you to post your relevant questions as you go along. Photos help us see what you’re talking about and you would be amazed at the details the guys can see and pick up on. Good luck with your build!
-Bob

Back