Introduction, build post, and a question

Ya, I like the Mustangs. They have an aggressive, in your face look to them. I couldn't decide if i wanted the 3 gal or 2.2. I like the look of that one you had.

Any TC Bros installers out there? From the instructions it seems the frame should come forward a little bit. The front of the top rails should touch the actual backbone and the back of the top rails should touch the "wrap around".

Am I reading that right? Here is where I am at now.

tcsplit.jpg

That's where mine laid. Frustrating for sure.The install instructions could have better pics. I went ahead and welded mine up whee you have them. I'm sure Paul can shed more light on the subject.

Hi, I think you're not far off there! Its more about Getting the line right.

Thanks for the tip Paulrxs650, I was looking at the instructions but they were pretty dark on the print out. I worked the bottom a little more which allowed me to curve the tail up slightly. How is it looking now? The top mount sits much closer to the wrap around but they still don't touch the frame in the front. Thoughts?

tcangle1.jpg

tcsplitmovedup.jpg

I am also going to be tacking it together this week. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to check or tips to keep the frame from creeping around?

looks great so far! I Have a frame jig table and build my hardtails by hand, make sure you tie the axle plates to each other to keep the spacing correct. an easy fix is a piece of ready rod, washers and four nuts. Also try to tie them to the table in some way to keep them at the same height. Happy welding!

That looks cock on! I had some gaps like that, so I just built weld up to fill, ensuring a good penetration. You've got a brace in there to represent the engine ridgidity, I would check again for true and carry out the method as sonicarb13 describes to stop the axle plates pulling in, otherwise, you'll be on with a bottle jack trying to spread them - not good.
Just tack it up, check, tack a bit more, check, then weld up, trying to alternate between opposite sides and ends of the frame, to disperse the heat and twist.

Sorry, just seeing this. I remove the sides and then reinstall them after the hardtail is welded on. The way you are going about it as for filling in all the "gaps" is correct. You have to make many little peices to get the sides back together.

No worries at all, I took a break while I am waiting for some tubing to be delivered. Thanks for all your knowledge regarding this style of chop, it has been very helpful. Right now I feel really good about where the frame is, the only thing that concerns me is how much wider the lower part of the ugly plates are in comparison to the lower frame rails of the TC Bros tail, roughly .250 inch on each side. Seems like yours just flow into the bottom rails for a smoother look.

Do you have any pics of this area of your bike that might be able to shed some light on how it was done? Thanks!

uglyplate.jpg

Radford119, I love your photoshop pictures to help explain your questions! :thumbsup: How if only I could help :umm:

Been a while.

Finally got my frame welded. My buddy Dave at Copperhead Customs down the road hooked me up. I like knowing someone with more experience, welded the critical pieces. Piece of mind I guess.

Left the bottoms of the ugly plates unwelded, because I'm not sure how I want them to flow into the frame at the moment. Picked up a Peanut tank from Lowbrow last week and dropped the engine in there today. Feeling good about the direction everything is going.

xswithengine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
may i ask why you decided to keep the middle part of the frame with the swingarm mounts?

I blame the Brothers Fong. One of the first modded XS's I had ever seen was a Fong Brothers bike and I immediately fell in love. While the plates aren't as attractive as they could be, I think they fill that negative space well and balance out the front and back of the bike. The jaw dropping builds from Motoshop Tonouchi also had some influence.

It's been a while since my last post but I am finally getting there.

Seat:

seat.jpg

Regulator/Rectifier mount:

regrecmount.jpg

Brake stay:

brakestay.jpg

Ignition mount:

xs650key.jpg

Battery box with ignition unit pocket:

batterybox.jpg

xs650august.jpg

Back