Is a 1972 a bad idea for a beginner?

crikey thats in exceptional condition given its age. Someone has clearly loved and cherished it and put a lot of time and money into it to keep it looking that fresh.

My advice would be to get a sheet of paper and do a Pros and Cons list.
That will soon tell you if you should be buying it or not.

Don't let such a good opportunity pass you by or you will forever blame your pending marriage for missing out on such a good opportunity and for the dissapointment :wink2:

You don't want mint. Mint is unrideable (imo). My 71 looks to be in similar condition. Keep it the way it is, replace cables and rubber, upgrade electronics.
Mint is same as a new car. Worried about every bug splatter, searching for the first scratch. Don't follow dump trucks or log trucks.

I bought a 79 as my first bike, and love it. Yes it has left me stranded many times far from home but I met new and interesting people as they gave me lifts back home. I also have an SUV that I had to upgrade the suspension and make a motorcycle carrier for to haul this puppy back to the garage. But in my opinion it just makes for better stories when meeting up with other riders.

Honestly older bikes can be a pain, but they are way fun to work on and ride. Anyone can get a new bike and put tons of miles on it, but to me there is something more when you own a vintage bike. You will learn a ton and become a more self reliant mechanic owning this bike.

I would say get it, the manual and become quick friends with a someone that has a truck and patience.

I bought a 79 as my first bike, and love it. Yes it has left me stranded many times far from home but I met new and interesting people as they gave me lifts back home. I also have an SUV that I had to upgrade the suspension and make a motorcycle carrier for to haul this puppy back to the garage. But in my opinion it just makes for better stories when meeting up with other riders.

Honestly older bikes can be a pain, but they are way fun to work on and ride. Anyone can get a new bike and put tons of miles on it, but to me there is something more when you own a vintage bike. You will learn a ton and become a more self reliant mechanic owning this bike.

I would say get it, the manual and become quick friends with a someone that has a truck and patience.
+1 :D:thumbsup:

Yep. I have a 2003 Suzuki marauder all customed out. I've had it since 2004, and only recently I've felt that it has a soul. I've got 20k on the bike, it's just a reliable long distance runner.
These old bikes need to be ridden. I just did a 20mile shake down on 71 that had not been ridden for more than a mile since 1992. Flawless ride
Just ride it. She will let you what she needs (start with a 32 rear sprocket)

Looks nice and looks like it has been used, not set in someones garage. I also have a '72 which is my first XS. Mine was too roached from years of abuse to take back to stock but if you have any mechanical aptitude and it sounds like you do, that bike in my opinion is fairly easy to work on. I've owned many different bikes and models over the years and my XS has been fairly easy to get parts for and work on.

Well they only are original once..... But that one will need a lot of work. I'd be thinking more like $1500 but I don't know just where south hell is.... Since he still has it..... I like to use the; jeez I like, want this bike, it's probably a $3K motorcyle but............ will need new pipes, paint, about $500 of basic maintenance, tires chain, prolly true by the way.

Thread's a year old, original poster posted six times and they were all in this thread. Hasn't been on the site since August first of last year.
Thinking the little lady may have caught wind of his dream and put the kibosh to it........lol.

Marriage is more of a business these days........she who has the vagina makes the rules.
Ive somehow snuck two xs's and a honda xl into my shop. She is prolly on a forum saying she somehow snuck 2 horses, 2 geese, 3 turkeys, 8 chickens, 3 cats, into our lives.

What's her username? I have plenty of spare cats. Well, overstock. They come with a great warranty.

*** Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your cats back! ***

Back