ISO Parts 73 tx650

73 tx650-xs650 resto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a front fender original side covers and front light brackets and light if you have one in metallic blue flake and exhaust or maybe some aftermarket exhaust

This is going to sound confusing............................

The XS/TX650's production date run was from, (not set in stone can be a month or 2 either side), Aug to July.
73TX.......Aug 72 to July 73.
74TXA....Aug 73 To July 74.

The last year of the production date is the model date. So a 73TX could be thought of as a 72 if you go off the production date, (from Aug 72 to Dec 72), and not the model date, Aug 72 to July 73. Or a TX74A could be thought off as a 73,............Still with me.

73TX was the last of the 256 models, (common reference and used for this post), from 70-73.

In 74 the XS/TX had a major overhaul and about the only things not changed was the motor, (in appearance only), and the wheel hubs. The frame, battery box, air-boxes, Tank /side-covers, engine internals, (pistons/rings/pins, cam, cam/crank sprockets, rods), and wheel rims where all changed. 90% of the parts will not interchange between the 73TX and TX74A......................Still there................

What I'm getting at is .............some sellers will sell a part and think all XS/TX's are the same..............others will post dates for the parts and will have the year of the production date as the year of the part................See where the confusion starts to come in............... Built in October 73, so the sellers sells the part is a 73TX when it is actually a TX74A part.

73TX and TX74A front guards look the same from a casual glance but vary quite differently.
The 73TX side of the front guard is almost straight with a slight curve/role outwards along the edge between the stays, the protruding front doesn't have that curve.
TX74A has a pronounced roll the full length of the guard.

These guards may interchange between the 2 bikes, (haven't tried so can't be sure), but i do know the stays won't interchange between the guards

A couple of pics of some guards on ebay now..............http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_fln=1&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=yamaha+XS650+front+fender&LH_PrefLoc=2&_ipg=200&rt=nc world wide search.

73 Front guard
front guard stay 73.jpg

Close up............Ignore the dent.
front guard 73.jpg

TX74A, Has a more pronounced roll to the edge and travels the full length of the guard.This guard is also on the XS75B and XS76C
front guard 74-75-76.jpg

Last edited:
Back