issues with Mikesxs crankcase vent valve

CalAl

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I installed the one-way crank vent valve on my '77 with 2 short hoses from the breather outlets to a T fitting, then one hose from there to the valve, hung near the front of the battery box. I had to take the valve out because it leaked a whitish oily fluid, like oil and water mixed. It would weep while running and drip a few drops while parked. With the valve off the breather hose is now dry. Valve was installed in the right direction, but I'm wondering if it's orientation - vertical or horizontal is critical. I have one of these valves on my NT650 Honda and it works fine in a somewhat horizontal position, but it rattles on acceleration. Any ideas?
Thanks

Hi Calal,you might want to change the oil in your bike.Sounds like it may have been sitting for awhile and has condensation in the crankcase.The vent valve only lets out what your engine is producing,it has nothing in it to make whitish oil.It is only a reed valve,like on an air compressor.It is also a good idea to drill some small holes in the baffle plate that is inside the engine's vent housing.Hope this helps.

Make sure you know what you are doing if you are going to make the hole in the vent housing bigger

Not sure what to think on this theory any more:confused: I drilled a bigger hole in my baffle plate following the same theory we used with Triumphs, where we put a breather on the timing side so there was little pressure under the pistons, but now there is this vacuum device, certainly can't see the point in drilling the baffle plate and fitting the vacuum

I had already changed the oil and put in new filters, because the bike had sat covered outdoors for a long time. The oil I took out was clean and I found no water. I thought that after a few rides it might clear up, but that was not the case and after 200 miles over several rides I took the valve off because of the mess - even got some on my rear tire! I would say that the bike drove a little better with the valve - my Honda 650 certainly does - so I'd like to put it back on.... Mike Lalonde suggests a leakdown test, but that hardly seems necessary with compression at 145 both sides. The motor runs great and doesn't smoke, but does seep a little oil at the head gasket so I'll retorque.
Is it possible there's water in the motor someplace other than right in the oil?

I drilled mine out and had to replace it..........more air goes in and out with each pulse and takes oil with it......the way I noticed it was the oil would collect in the oil line to the air box and on cold starts it would smoke for a bit on the left....80 model....well that was before the one way valve...............xsjohn

Back