It's October, what are you working on? (pics)

OOOhhhhh 30, the horror the horror!
Speaking of sucks, the engine I am working on. Bought off fleabay at appears it was sabotaged before I got it. I can think of no other way to explain the "black sand" inside it. About 3 tablespoons worth. The oil pump didn't much care for the sand.
briggs0.JPG

briggs1.JPG

briggs2.JPG

briggs3.JPG

It's a briggs vanguard 18 on my mower.
Also messing with horse water before freeze up, and BS38s. Shaft seals next.

I'm working on trying to button up my single carb conversion project. I'm there cosmetically, I think, but I have to put the new (hopefully ideal) needle and needle jet in and put everything back together. Then, weather permitting this weekend, maybe I'll be able to see where I am. In theory, I should be right where I need to be.

TC

Attachments

• 100_1045.jpg
    100_1045.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_1047.jpg
    100_1047.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_1044.jpg
    100_1044.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_1043.jpg
    100_1043.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
That black sand is familiar. I once adjusted the valves on an old Mazda 626 I had and the valve cover was literally caked with it inside. Ran fine though till it eventually crashed. I figured it was some form of carbon.

Converting my 1956 Panhead over to 12v system. A sealed xs650 Battery fits right into the space where the tall 6v battery used to sit in the wrap-around oil tank. Got 12v Generator and regulator off ebay. Still have to re-wire the original style switch and hook up the front brake. Seems the clutch plates have "stuck" together and I'll have to take that apart also. No hurry on this project tho, have owned it since 1974 and it has been assembled many times, several times with a 12 over springer. Miss that look. Body can't take the hardtail anymore longer than about 100 miles. Ah, youth, where did you go?

Been stupid busy lately, havent logged on here in probably over a month. Between school, work and other things(mainly life) the XS has suffered. I'll be on the road alot in the next few weeks but when I return Ive got several things to keep me busy.

First the XS. I was trying to rush to get it ready for Biketoberfest and was wanting to halfass shit so I backed away. Ended up picking up the 48 and was still able to go. Welded a mounting tab on the rear of the tank, primed and sanded it to prevent surface rust. Frame has a couple minor things before being ready. Still undecided if Im going to weld in gussets on the neck or leave it clean. It's just gonna be used as an in-town ride/barhopper. As soon as I find time Im really looking foward to completing it.

Last pic I took of it...

IMG00065-20100825-2017.jpg

The 48...waiting on a 1" bar spacer to mount these Z bars. And as soon as winter comes around the tank and rear fender will be getting repainted. Going with a gold with heavy metal flake and a black stripe down the middle.

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

im trying to finish up this xs750 so i can move on to my drop seat 650 that gives me bedroom eyes everytime i step foot in the garage. dont worry baby, our time will be soon

Attachments

• xs750 hardtail 4.jpg
    xs750 hardtail 4.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 139
  • xs750 hardtail 3.jpg
    xs750 hardtail 3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 110
  • xs750 hardtail 2.jpg
    xs750 hardtail 2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 96
  • xs750 hardtail 1.jpg
    xs750 hardtail 1.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 108
  • xs750 hardtail.jpg
    xs750 hardtail.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 116
Along with the XS Hardtail, Im putting together a cheapie Honda CM 400 T.. I just finished the carbs and got it running a week ago. Purrs not too bad for a 30 year old. Lit right up after the float bowls filled.. a little choke to get an initial pop.

Attachments

• cm400t bike 002 (Medium).jpg
    cm400t bike 002 (Medium).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 115
i'm working on the railroad. all the live long day.

no, seriously. i spend more time at work or at the hotel than i do at home.

modding and fitting new tank along with a new exhaust set up
newtank.jpg

heres what i plan on the seat looking like once i get to fiberglassing it.
newtankr.jpg

Here's the welding/fixture table top I mentioned a few days ago. I thought I'd mock up the stand with wood to make sure it's how I want it before I weld up a real stand for it. The pieces are 1-1/4" thick and weigh over 500 pounds together. They're nice because they are very very flat. I think I'm going to put a big vise on the part that sticks out.

weldtable01.jpg

weldtable02.jpg

You are welding up 500 pound tables and moving to Colorado when?
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Looks nice though, that vice out on the corner should be handy as all get out. I am jealous.

Gary, my girlfriend said the same thing about it being so heavy.. I guess I'm going to need a heavy duty U-haul because I won't be getting rid of it.

Thanks Teebs, it should definitely be handy to have around. I'm going to put leveling feet on it and have a place to hang my welding clamps and other misc stuff. Still in the planning stages though. I'll have to browse the internet for ideas.

Well, I think I have the 75 with the 750 engine sguared away, till I get the new exhaust done. I can now do some more on the 81, needs a rotor. Maybe some work on the 82, just a roller for now, will be minimalist, just an engine tank whells and enough frame to hold it all together.
So you think 30 sucks try 50 like I did a few years back. 60 is getting closer all the time.

30 Don't sweat it Beau. For me my twenties were the worst. Life got better at 30 and has been improving since. Keep riding. I have been for 40 years

Back