Stuck oil filter cover

gkeithly

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’m struggling to get the oil filter cover off. I tried the tips of putting in a phillips and hitting it with a hammer, and even made a special tool to try and rotate it (pic attached) yet it still isn’t budging. Not sure why it’s stuck on there or the last time the oils been changed as I bought it last october and basically instantly put it away for winter. Any advice? I’m half tempted to just not change the filter but I know I should… I really do not care about marring up the cover, as you might be able to tell, I already tried prying it with a flathead.
48F6C58A-69F5-4EE2-8423-989E245A1B18.jpeg

Attachments

• 8AD5B1FE-D6F9-4424-A1F4-A86A59AE8E68.jpeg
    8AD5B1FE-D6F9-4424-A1F4-A86A59AE8E68.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 2A0D7342-C116-4877-BD3D-481AB6CEC3D1.jpeg
    2A0D7342-C116-4877-BD3D-481AB6CEC3D1.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 70
I believe I used
A small flathed ..perhaps one on each side but start with one
Not all the way in trying to move it sideways
But instead trying to get a more outward force ..can have something in between
on the outer edge. Sheet metal or so.

Tap it with a piece of wood and a hammer inward In between .can help

The filter is usually not replaced it is Cleaned

Nice tool .. But someone can have applied some gasket cement as I do Permatex -- so outward movement can be better

Had the same issue on mine. Gggary helped me by recommending a home made tool, much like yours but mine was much more crude. I just used a long piece of angle iron with a pair of holes corresponding the mount holes of the cover. I turned down some bolts to fit in the cover like dowels and the long leverage of the handle popped them free. Maybe hit it with some heat first. Can’t tell from your pic but just looks like a 1/2 in ratchet. Use a cheater bar for more leverage.

This is easy. A previous owner likely used gasket cement on both sides of the gasket, and that's why it's stuck. You need heat. Either a heat gun, or a heat lamp. That will soften the cement, and then your tool will work.

..... and don't use any gasket sealer when you put it back together, lol.

On my new to me XS I have been having a struggle to get the oil filter cover on the right side off. Read a few tips on here and was about to get the hot air gun out when I had a brainwave. Years ago I bought a dent puller. Dug it out of the back of the shed and it only blooming worked. 😁
IMG_0763.jpeg

Back