It's time to start a winter Project. The Red Bike

If your forearms are up to it, you can just squeeze the fender mount together while sliding it in place.

I would be thinking about new pods as well. The ones you have are too small and will restrict the air flow. With the VM carbs, you can use a K&N, but they are expensive. I believe the recommended K&N pod for the VMs is the RU-0600 .....

https://www.knfilters.com/ru-0600-universal-clamp-on-air-filter

Personally, I'd get UNIs, less than half the cost.

If your forearms are up to it, you can just squeeze the fender mount together while sliding it in place.
I am thinking the "smart" way will be to drop the front wheel so I have plenty of access and no interference. No need to get in a hurry after months of planning. In this case "A job worth doing is worth doing over" is not a viable option.

Looks like Jim really came through here. This is from his painting tins thread.
View attachment 242737

The "Red Bike" has been idle a little while I prepared for Ozarks and spent too much time as a "keyboard warrior". I fooled myself into believing there are just a few things to do before tin arrive from Kansas City. Man plans, God laughs. Note to other amatuers, attach the brake stay before you install the swing arm and rear tire. Carefully label and store all your parts. I spend too much time digging through 3 boxes of parts for this bike, (And a bench top and one dedicated XS tool box and a couple of drawers in the tool cabinet) As an aside, going to the True Value Hardware and building up pieces to do a job poorly (brake stay arm fastener) sometimes causes the AWOL piece to suddenly show up😎 Another note, attach the rear drum brake arm before you install the rear wheel, getting it on the splines and not pushing it into the hub will be a challenge.
The last couple days I resprayed the back frame hoop section where I built seat and sidecover mounts and the upper engine mounts while they are off for headbolt torque check.
Next up is get the footpeg carriers re-installed. I am thinking to heat them with a hot air gun after greasing the inside with red rubber grease.
Another blinder of a work piece!

You would think I am a genius. Smeared some red grease inside the foot peg bushings and both went on easily. Now grab the acorn nuts... Three boxes, two drawers... where the hell did I put them? Ah ha...
16840222423895288836312721270464.jpg
16840222828091406826073381157557.jpg

Last edited:
Back