It's time to start a winter Project. The Red Bike

Now I am pulling my hair out in frustration. 90 degrees, 90% humidity... Sweating bullets, and not because I told a lie. I have a pretty nice running combo. VMs and pods, 1.5" headpipes into Commandos. Main at #200, pilot at #20. Needle clip at one up from middle (leaner) position. The missing at 4500-5000 ish with needle clip in middle position has gone to missing 5500-6000rpm region with the clip one up, leaner. The carb .pdf says you should rejet to the next size rather than going another clip position on the needle, top or bottom position. So hey, I am stupid but I have reading comprehension. So, #200 to rich. I go to #195s this morning. Jekyl and Hyde. After a very short ride, corner and back, 2 stroking, missing, popping and generally flipping ME the bird. WTF I play air mix between 1/2 and 3 1/2. Pull out carbtune manometer and left cyclinder is DEAD at idle. No amount of adjusting makes it work. I went to a 2500 rpm sync and balanced bothe cylinders with the carb top slack adjusters. No amount of idle speed or air mix would cause the left carb to draw any vacuum at idle. Rolling the throttle on the left would pull vacuum ahead of the right and I balance the 2 at steady 2500-3000 rpm as the bike backed away from the manometer hanging on a step ladder threatening to fall over on the @Jim paint. WTF again and again and again! I verified the stamped #s on the jets in the left float bowl. Ignition? I plugged in a gonzo iggy I have for emergencies, no change. I switched plug wires and still no change. Time now for RUM, lick my wounds and prepare for another day.
It ain't unusual for a plug to up and die during a protracted tuning cycle. Jus' sayin'....

spark, compression, fuel, next up, compression test.
check cam chain tension, and valve settings, if one valve is way off, tell us?
Thank you. I did check/set all in 2022 but it is worth revisiting. Except compression.
So put me on a highway
Show me a sign
Take it to the limit
One more time

RIP Randy Meisner

Better? :geek:
😭

Last edited:
The carbs sync nicely bit the bike runs like doodoo with 20/195 pilot/main. Time
16907673727731400202625087062009.jpg
to cons9der with a rum on the rocks.

Note the "Amatuer" in my signature. :) 20 pilots were wrong so I went back to 22.5s. 6 minutes each side (except 1 lost M5x16 0.8). Damn proud of myself.;) Off I go and I get spitting and popping. WTF Come back home after 1 mile and park. Consider (not over Rum) go back to the bike a a puddle is forming of gas. Maybe I should slow down a little and double check float operation before I race off. Amatuer.

Note the "Amatuer" in my signature. :) 20 pilots were wrong so I went back to 22.5s. 6 minutes each side (except 1 lost M5x16 0.8). Damn proud of myself.;) Off I go and I get spitting and popping. WTF Come back home after 1 mile and park. Consider (not over Rum) go back to the bike a a puddle is forming of gas. Maybe I should slow down a little and double check float operation before I race off. Amatuer.
It is misleading to evaluate jetting when the float is overflowing, bad for fuel economy to...
Amateur...

Back