JB Weld Repair Question?

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
The problem
On my Shadow build I broke off the little boss for the carbureator idle speed adjuster - Frozen screw, penetrating oil over night no help. drilled it out and tapped it. While insertng a new screw it snapped off.

The Solution
When using JB weld should I just bond at the broken interface or fill the void and build up around the piece and then drill and tap the JB weld material? Or a better suggestion will be appreciated.

:confused:

Isn't that stuff made of zinc?

Found this when casually looked up zinc welding.

http://www.muggyweld.com/zinc.html

I wouldn't use J.B. Weld for much of anything myself. The golf ball glued to the top of the pop bottle always did impress me, but....

Hard to advise without a photo. First sniff is that JB weld isn't going to hold a screw thread. Maybe you could jb weld a metal replacement tab with a threaded hole to the carb body till you find an ebay replacement for the body.

It's probably doable with JBW. I'd fill it, drill it and thrill it (no, I mean tap it). For a light load like an idle screw, it'd probably be fine.

And no idle screw jokes, either!

Get it all real clean (hey, carburetor cleaner!) and mix/stir the goop up good, but you know all that. Good luck, pal. Let us know how it goes.

I'm a fan of J.B. Weld, but (monkey) the p.o. of my bike tried to do a repair on the right rearview mirror mount w/ the jb and it was a dismal failure. 'Course the vibes may have had something to do with it.

Side note- jb weld will pass voltage and can be picked up with a magnet when dried.

I did some researching of JB Weld's strength properties a while back. Can't quote numbers now, but if you go to their website, they have the data there. As I recall, it handles compression and extension well, and the only area where JB Weld is kinda weak is when it's subjected to shear forces. It isn't nearly as strong as aluminum, but in many instances, it's strong enough.

Back