Meatball Mechanic; Valve cover stripped stud hole repair.

That scenario reminds me of the time I went to a well known tire specialty shop in my area. I had bought two tires and the guy was using an impact driver to remove my wheels. One by one the guy was destroying the chrome covers on the lug nuts. I jumped in there and checked the socket that he was using. Sure enough, that socket was the right size, but it was so worn out that it had the slop of almost half a turn. I didn't say a thing to him, but went right to the desk and demanded new lug nuts, and I wasn't going to pay for them. I was denied, I proved them to be liable. All hell broke loose and I cussed up a loud storm in front of the other customers. I got free lug nuts, chrome.

Scott

Last edited:
Good for you Scott. I once saw a guy move (or try to move) my manual transmission car from the parking lot into the tire bay - without using the clutch. He was yanking on the gear shift while the engine was running - but of course the car wouldn’t move.

I ran out into the parking lot and yelled at him - but he protested that “he’d get ‘her movin’”. Finally I yanked the door open and ordered him to get the f@ck out of my car. Then I drove it into the shop while he protested that it was HIS job to do that.

Numb nuts.

Good for you Scott. I once saw a guy move (or try to move) my manual transmission car from the parking lot into the tire bay - without using the clutch. He was yanking on the gear shift while the engine was running - but of course the car wouldn’t move.

I ran out into the parking lot and yelled at him - but he protested that “he’d get ‘her movin’”. Finally I yanked the door open and ordered him to get the f@ck out of my car. Then I drove it into the shop while he protested that it was HIS job to do that.

Numb nuts.
Nice to hear about that Bruce Willis part of you emerging once in a while, Pete.
I knew he was there, inside of you. :)
k4oxXXH2lJf1qWtPY-Mbd6L3XjcTfeJL2UjMjzvGslYkbNdjGg.jpg

June 2019 2many mentioned this thread, 6 years and 7,000 miles later (Madness sat unused for a long time) completely forgot I did this. I just did a valve adjustment and never even noticed that stud, still working perfectly.

June 2019 2many mentioned this thread, 6 years and 7,000 miles later (Madness sat unused for a long time) completely forgot I did this. I just did a valve adjustment and never even noticed that stud, still working perfectly.
Good, because I noticed yesterday that this exact rocker cover stud is stripped on my bike and I'm contemplating the fix.
I'll report back what happens. :)

Some folks swear by Time-serts, an alternative to helicoils, but I have successfully used the latter.

http://www.timesert.com/

When drilling out the hole, with the proper size drill bit, it helps to use the re-attached cover as a guide to help keep your drill bit centered and at the proper angle.
There are a number of threads on this topic here at this site.
It is well worth studying up on this procedure. As Pete stated, there are some important variables that can lead to serious failure/damage to your head.
Hope your repair goes well.
it helps to use the re-attached cover as a guide to help keep your drill bit centered and at the proper angle.
Good idea !!

Back