Just Joined & Looking for Help..!

kimmea

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Good Evening all,

Just signed up to what looks like an amazing site with lots & lots of information.
Ive just Purchased a XS650 Hardtail Bobber...however the guy who sold me it removed the battery as it needed charging...While doing this there was a spark and probably a short and now the bike wont start.

Any guidance or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Take it back to the seller and tell him to fix it, you bought a running bike right?

Not a lot to go on, either describe what charging system and ignition you have or shoot some good pics. inside the round cover on the left, and inside the LH cap on the end of the cam. perhaps the electrics box also.
Welcome to the forum! Batteries never "just need charging" either it's shot or the charging system isn't. (or both)

Could have just blown a fuse...

Like gggGary said, need more details on your bike. Year, electrical system, etc. pics would be ideal. If it's been hardtailed, then guessing a lot of changes have been made.

Good Evening all,

Just signed up to what looks like an amazing site with lots & lots of information.
Ive just Purchased a XS650 Hardtail Bobber...however the guy who sold me it removed the battery as it needed charging...While doing this there was a spark and probably a short and now the bike wont start.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike and welcome,
like they all said, we'll need to know what year and country of origin your XS650 is, what the dreaded PO has done to it and to see some photos before we can help beyond saying "Let's hope ye didnae get screwed too bad, Laddie."
Note that you can add details to your profile page and signature line (it's easy, even I can do it) so you don't have to spend several posts explaining what your bike is every time you have a question.

Good Evening all,

Thanks
Mike

welcome Mike
Sounds like you've probably connected the battery to the wrong polarity and blown a fuse is all unless that is you have a electronic ignition system fitted, in which case you might have fried that.

You are our eyes and ears Mike, tell us what is happening when you try to start the engine.

Has it got an electric starter fitted ? or just kick start.

Do you have a spark at the spark plugs ? ( Note if you have an electronic ignition system fitted don't try start it with either of the spark plug HT leads ungrounded or you could damage it.)

Does the engine cough or splutter or backfire or show any signs of trying to start ?

Hi Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Well im currenty working offshore right now but have got the XS dropped off at a friends for some fault finding until I get back.

Im afraid my knowledge is pretty limited in this field ..however this is waht I know so far.

Its a UK 1982 650XS with kick start only (i think) I dont think it going to be anything dramatic...so long as the seller has told me the truth.!

I must say im quite dissapointed in the bike as the pictures must have been taken 5 years ago..I will never learn :laugh:

Hopefully I will have some better feedback tonight once my mate has had a closer look

Will keep you all posted.

Back