Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Beautiful piece of woodwork but I would think a fiberglass or carbon fiber filament wound piece would be cheaper and more durable. I am fairly certain there is a factor which prevents that.
In that same vein I fly fished annually in the high Sierras with an old Hughes Helicoptor engineer. He indicated that "discovering" rotor tips did not like going supersonic as they swung forward in their arc above a fast moving helicopter was a painful lesson. He also claimed a guy who worked for him wrote a bunch of "Laws" was named Murphy.

Last edited:
Tracermachine sehr kool! Nice prop-a-tooter.

Wish we had pictures of the shaping of Wright Flyer props, which I have read were very efficient, according to Fred Kelly. Kelly says the boys assumed that there was design math for marine props, and they would use that to design the air-props... alas (!) they discovered there were only general rules and they'd have to start with the lift tables they'd made in wind-tunnel. I suppose so, Kelly knew the fellas.

Speaking of spinning thingies... just an old moment in rather vague memory... Oil patch Kern River bucket inspection of a GE GTG + HSRG - sometime about 1985. The field engineer in charge was a well known...ah, how can I put this? Let's say bad luck clung to the guy. Anyway the guy was supervising a pair of fellas at the coupling, portapowers to bump the shaft axially to record the as-found position thrust. It bumped. They stopped pumping of course. Then he got argumentative and loud, ordered them to keep pumping. Byebye thrust. Spinnerparts go bang. Big fubar. I overheard the whole thing screwing around trying to keep busy, kroil and a rag kinna stuff. Really nasty recrimination abounded. Not the best experience. I wish I'd kept a diary, but who does? Not many. It's a vague thing now...

Very Cool!

I'm surprised the framework of the machine is wood tho. Given the necessary precision, I'd think they'd want something more rigid.
It looks like wood DE, but it's a steel framework. The steel's painted tan and the glue used (resorcinol) is brown. Kinda give the impression of wood with the glue streaks all over it.
Since Culver Props is here in Mo, I've flown down there a few times to pick up a prop from 'em.... cheaper than boxing and shipping.
It's a 2 girl family operation. Lovely ladies btw. Easy on the eyes and extremely knowledgeable not just on props but aircraft in general. Iirc, they took over day to day ops from their grandfather.

1707234614137.png

1707234802307.png

Thanks, Jim. Armed with your comments I looked at it again and see what your saying.
If, like me, you're interested in that sort of thing, they have a Youtube channel where they run through prop construction... from the buyers notes on requirements to the varnish and balance at the end.

A-10 Warthogs. Just south of me goin' downtown to strafe the Chiefs Super Bowl parade. I hope they're using inert rounds.... :yikes:

1707940243916.png

4 Super Bowl wins... 3 of those belong to the current team.

1707940425543.png

And just like that, the fun's over. Some friggin' idiots felt the need to start a gunfight in the middle of the crowds. 10 shot, 3 critical and 1 dead..
What the ever lovin' fuck??!! :mad:

EDIT: Now stands at 22 either shot or broke bones from stampedes.

Sorry to go off track....

Last edited:
More serious. The magic superduper hypersonic flying bombs the Ruskie touts... Speculating on methods of control in plasma.

Steering hypersonic flyers in atmosphere. (speculating only, tasty to think on)

In addition to Coriolis forces and the approximately 1 G of Earth, the flyer is constantly, or nearly constantly, accelerating both + and - . It flies in plasma, most of the time. As the machine enters into the dense air it slows rapidly. It is not practical to steer by means of control surfaces, for obvious reasons. Instead the attitude may be controlled by shifting mass center internally, thus using the body-plasma envelope as an aerodynamic lifting force. It is unclear at what portion of flight the machine loses the plasma – but the terminal speed at target elevation zero is probably about M3. Estimate that at M3 the plasma does not form. Of course, by that time... ;)

How guidance computer senses position from inside plasma is probably more interesting.

If I hear from the builders I'll tell.

More serious. The magic superduper hypersonic flying bombs the Ruskie touts... Speculating on methods of control in plasma.

Steering hypersonic flyers in atmosphere. (speculating only, tasty to think on)

In addition to Coriolis forces and the approximately 1 G of Earth, the flyer is constantly, or nearly constantly, accelerating both + and - . It flies in plasma, most of the time. As the machine enters into the dense air it slows rapidly. It is not practical to steer by means of control surfaces, for obvious reasons. Instead the attitude may be controlled by shifting mass center internally, thus using the body-plasma envelope as an aerodynamic lifting force. It is unclear at what portion of flight the machine loses the plasma – but the terminal speed at target elevation zero is probably about M3. Estimate that at M3 the plasma does not form. Of course, by that time... ;)

How guidance computer senses position from inside plasma is probably more interesting.

If I hear from the builders I'll tell.

Mostly jus' Putin talkin' out his arse.... :cautious:

Back