Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Last edited:
The link was supposed to be a "gift article"; don't work for you?

From the article...

“The wrench would make a small noise when they reach the proper torque; then there is this guy who would listen for the click,” said Osborne, who held executive posts in Boeing’s commercial unit before taking over as quality chief of the company’s defense business. “That’s kind of outdated now, when we have a digital wrench that can record the torque automatically and then over Wi-Fi send that data to a server and create a permanent record.”
Additionally, Osborne said, mechanics who check their own work are trained and certified to do so.

The IAM’s Holden said he is familiar with the wrench argument, but doesn’t think the tool clears the way to do away with inspections.
“If it’s a digital tool, you have to set the parameters, you need to make sure the wrench is set correctly,” he said. “There needs to be an inspector there to ensure it’s done right; it doesn’t matter if it’s digital.”

Either Mr Holden is full of it, or he doesn't understand the process. Being in the business, it's hard to believe there's a lack of knowledge, so I'ma conclude he's full of shit.
Here's the reality... When the mechanic torques the fastener and it's recorded to a server, it goes to a page that knows what the actual torque is supposed to be. If it doesn't fall within that range, it's flagged in red and an operator notifies a supervisor on the floor to redo that task. So in a sense it is inspected.... by a program written exclusively for that purpose.

Dec 17th. A monumental day in aviation history.:thumbsup:
12Dec17-05-WrightBros1stFlight.jpg
12Dec17-45-DC3.jpg
12Dec17-50-B-47.jpg

Die Mutter aller Flugzeugkatastrophenfilme​

Flug in Gefahr

This may well be the best version of the series...

based on the Alex Hailey book and stuff like that.

On a related topic, a few years ago Mrs and I were in Amsterdam on a cold, clear winter day and we got talking to a young couple from New Zealand. They just could not believe the number of jet trails across the sky. It was true that the sky looked like a board covered in chalk lines and scribbles. I pointed out we were not far from Schiphol, Heathrow, Gatwick, Brussels, Frankfurt and even Paris. Which must be six of the world's busiest airports . . .

Back