Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just looked up the temp in your back yard - still quite toasty. What’s the temp like in December?

December through February is our golden time. Temps avg 60-70 degrees for the high and 40-45 for the lows. T shirt weather 😎. January is typically when we get most of our rain ( which isn’t much).

Have no idear why I'm headed south in the van tomorrow. It's perfect fall riding weather here.
Weathervane was a joy, running well, easy one kick start after each photo op.
KIMG2283.JPG
KIMG2276.JPG
KIMG2280.JPG
collapsed barn cty U.jpg

I had a near miss this morning……..and it was a hairy one. 😱

The morning temps have been in the mid 70’s, just really nice, and I felt like taking a longer ride. I took a familiar route, headed Northwest to the town of Wickenburg and return home by taking The Vulture Mine Rd, which curves through some very scenic desert and mountains. I wasn’t taking photos, I’ve already posted a ton of photos of this road.
Which brings me to my near miss……
I had just turned onto the beginning of The Vulture Mine Rd and I had to pass some residential areas. I was doing a relaxed pace, maybe 45 mph, and from well over 100 yards away, I spot a woman riding a bicycle on the right side of the road, all the way over , like this.
326561FD-7C9B-4BCF-8330-FA60D62C7336.jpeg

When I had closed to within 100 feet of her, she crossed the white line and was now about 2’ into my lane. Even though the road had a double yellow line, I could see pretty far down the road and just to give her plenty of room, I crossed the center line so I could pass her on the other side of the road.
The next part happened fast. When I was almost up to her, without looking she suddenly decided to cross the road! I would’ve hit her dead on! I simultaneously hit the brakes, laid on my horn and cranked my bike as far left as I could go without running off the road. I still would’ve hit her, if she didn’t swerve back at the last second.
………And just like that I was past her. I looked in my mirror and she was still going ok, so I just kept on going, but man was that close! My first thought was I could’ve killed her. :yikes: It would’ve been bad all the way around.
The last place I expected trouble was on a two lane highway with almost no traffic.

The morning temps have been in the mid 70’s, just really nice, and I felt like taking a longer ride. I took a familiar route, headed Northwest to the town of Wickenburg and return home by taking The Vulture Mine Rd, which curves through some very scenic desert and mountains. I wasn’t taking photos, I’ve already posted a ton of photos of this road.
I had just turned onto the beginning of The Vulture Mine Rd and I had to pass some residential areas. I was doing a relaxed pace, maybe 45 mph, and from well over 100 yards away, I spot a woman riding a bicycle on the right side of the road, all the way over , like this.
View attachment 227384

When I had closed to within 100 feet of her, she crossed the white line and was now about 2’ into my lane. Even though the road had a double yellow line, I could see pretty far down the road and just to give her plenty of room, I crossed the center line so I could pass her on the other side of the road.
The next part happened fast. When I was almost up to her, without looking she suddenly decided to cross the road! I would’ve hit her dead on! I simultaneously hit the brakes, laid on my horn and cranked my bike as far left as I could go without running off the road. I still would’ve hit her, if she didn’t swerve back at the last second.
………And just like that I was past her. I looked in my mirror and she was still going ok, so I just kept on going, but man was that close! My first thought was I could’ve killed her. :yikes: It would’ve been bad all the way around.
The last place I expected trouble was on a two lane highway with almost no traffic.
Probably had buds in her ears too. Darwin cheated by a carefull rider.

You would think on a bike a person would stay off the road completely
Thank God a motorcycle rider was involved a car and she might have been a red spot on the road
Maybe just maybe she might learn from this
Good for you to handle it correctly
Sorry but I can't help but be a little PO that she put you into that situation
I guess God helps idiots too

You would think on a bike a person would stay off the road completely
One would think so...there's plenty of nice roads around here with adequate shoulders - some with an actual bike lane -but, the dumbasses insist on driving out "my" road that has zero shoulder and lanes 10' wide. Beyond the white line it drops-off several inches into God knows what:shrug:

Mailman - I want you to remain safe - I'll build ya some pipes.....
216884-a8e25e520222c6b05e623f973d541279.jpg
I'll even put the clangy flapper thingies on 'em:laughing:

One would think so...there's plenty of nice roads around here with adequate shoulders - some with an actual bike lane -but, the dumbasses insist on driving out "my" road that has zero shoulder and lanes 10' wide. Beyond the white line it drops-off several inches into God knows what:shrug:

Mailman - I want you to remain safe - I'll build ya some pipes.....
View attachment 227386I'll even put the clangy flapper thingies on 'em:laughing:

Haha! Yeah buddy! That would wake her up!

View attachment 227384

1st laydown I had at 16 on my Kawi S-1 was similar. No earbuds back then, just a kid that wasn't paying attention.

Back