Key Lock/Ignition Switch Replacement

twinsarehot

fu*cking lurker
Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a new ignition switch. I'm running a cheapo switch that broke after about 2 months, now it's basically an on/off switch lol. I don't plan on running a console, so I was looking for creative mounting ideas and good choices for an switch replacement.

- ive seen them mounted into the battery-air box side covers, off the rear engine mount, under the seat or even like me, no key switch at all

- mounting them away from the front simplifies the wiring, esp the spaghetti junction inside the headlight

I'm using a hidden (in plain sight) toggle under seat, but keeping the original upfront as a dummy.

You can find an ignition switch for about $20 shipped on ebay. Enter "round key ignition" in the search block. Most of these switches are designed to fit Harleys, but I am quite sure that they would be easily adaptable to your bike.
Happy hunting!

How would you go making a remote control, keyless ignition??????
Remote could operate a solenoid that powers the bike.......Press the remote, beep beep, thumb the starter, your off! Everything is hidden away then, way cool!

I dont know bout you guys, but I keep my bikes in 1st gear so they dont roll away. rolling forward off the stand would be tragic.

I've got a Mini ignition switch on mine, that's mini as in the car of the 70's, it's just a small cylinder with 2 positions on and a sprung 2nd position for the starter, but very seldom use it as it's hidden under the battery box, I just use a 35 amp toggle switch mounted by the speedo.

I'm pretty sure that mine will be "on" all the time. I was thinking about picking up a billet kill switch. If I do then it will definitely be "on" all the time. Of course I'm going kicker only without a battery so I don't think that will be a problem right? Oh yeah, the lights will have an high/low/off switch though.

Mine's kick only, I have to turn the toggle switch off to get it past compression, I just have the wire from the ignition switch going directly to the toggle switch, saves assing around with keys all the time

I know this is an old post...but I'm in the market for a new ignition switch.

TwinsAreHot (yest they are unless they are fat)...did you ever come up with a solution?

does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Without running a key are any of you worried about theft?

I know this is an old post...but I'm in the market for a new ignition switch.

TwinsAreHot did you ever come up with a solution?

does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Without running a key are any of you worried about theft?

If you want a simple yet fairly secure setup, rig two or three switches in various places around the bike. One toggle switches the battery on, one toggles the coils, a pushbutton controls the starter. Gotta set all three to get it to run. Fairly theft proof unless they just carry the bike off. And yeah, the dummy key switch would be a nice touch, though not as clean.

How bad a problem is theft? Do they really hot wire the bike or just drag it off?

If you want a simple yet fairly secure setup, rig two or three switches in various places around the bike. One toggle switches the battery on, one toggles the coils, a pushbutton controls the starter. Gotta set all three to get it to run. Fairly theft proof unless they just carry the bike off. And yeah, the dummy key switch would be a nice touch, though not as clean.

How bad a problem is theft? Do they really hot wire the bike or just drag it off?

Good idea. Theft really isn't a problem for me, I was just curious as to what people did with their bikes.

I used to run a nice European made switch on another bike, I figured people who steal motorcycles would look for stock Harleys and crotch rockets, not some hacked up bike like mine. Stay away from cheaply made switches *ahem* China *ahem*. As for my 650, I decided to run the stock switch in it's original position on the triple tree until I can figure something out. But now that it's on, I'm starting to care less and less, I just want to ride.

I run a harley key switch, I dont like having only toggles and it makes it a bit harder to jump on and start w/o a key and every wire on the bike is enclosed.
I have a master disconnect toggle, then the key switch which turns power to the 2 fuses, (lights and ign), both mounted in the box under the seat, and a coil switch thats kinda hidden also.

No key for me. I use the kill switch to activate a relay which sends power to the components. I also have a hidden toggle on the coil. Still use the key for fork lock and gas cap though.

I bought my key switch at TSC. It was made for an old Ford tractor, I think anyway. $16 It's just off/on. Mounted low on right side. Made a mount of scrap steel. Bolted on one of the case bolts by the oil filler.

Moved my stock switch. Had to grind a bit of the back off to make it fit. Wiring swung right in to place.
7-28-09006.jpg

Mabe room for my voltmeter. (Bezel ring has since been replaced on the speedo.)
7-28-09007.jpg

Back