Kick start doesn't work. Electric start ok

jtg89

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1976 xs650 needs a lot of work. The kick start lever has no resistance when trying to kick it. Also no compression from cylinders when kicking it. Electric start works and gives compression. Is this a problem? I have no chain on it because I just got it running mostly... (it's doesn't like to idle I cleaned the carbs and the right was plugged up but I got everything cleaned and freed up might still be a problem because the right side will be ok then after about a minute idling it will misfire a few and then it will die. The I restart and it does it again.) back to the kick start... I looked in side through the dipstick hole and the gears are spinning when it's kick but no compression from cylinders and no resistance in kick start. Is this just in the kick start problem or is it much deeper? Again it starts with electric start. Thanks for the help ahead of time you guys have been great with my questions so far as I am a newbie to bike

The most common problems that cause the kickstarter to free spin are either a clutch that is not adjusted properly or the clutch (under the right hand cover) was assembled incorrectly. There is alot of information on here and in your manual about both of these.

Back