Kicker Doesn't Work

schpud

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the kick lever on my bike, when I bought it it was off, and now when I kick down nothing happens. It moves down into the position you would kick it in, then when you kick down, it's as if there's nothing attached to it. Otherwise my bike runs really good, so I am stumped, starts with an electric start fine, and runs strong. though I only have pretty weak knowledge about bikes, anyone got any ideas about what it is?

Do you have a shop manual? If not you can download one at biker.net

There's 2 coiled springy thingies inside the clutch cover. If they're not in exactly the right position the kicky thing won't work. (Actually, only one is a coil) And while I have had to repair my own I couldn't begin to tell you how except to say I found pictures somewhere on this website. The process required using a plastic wire tie to pull one of the springs into position and worked very well.

Also, there appears to be 3 ways the coil can go in and 2 of them are wrong. One was stops the kick about 1/2 way thru, another leaves you with no resistance and the third option works.

Or, it could be the clutch.

Does the kicker return to the top position by itself? If not its the return spring?
If the shaft pulled out its hole when removing the kicker the spring clip on the engaging gear may have come out of it slot?
One of those things you can't say for sure till it is apart.

sounds like it is just installed a little wrong. I know it is tricky to get in, you have to have the chuck and springs lined up perfectly to get it to grab and return properly.

There is a good thread on here about kick start lever identification, installation and troubleshooting. I just can't seem to find it right now.

Back