Kill switch -> start switch?

Pandorasglocks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1979 xs650 special

Hey all, yesterday my starter button broke. The button literally sheared off leaving a spring and half the button exposed. When I push the remaining piece of button in nothing happens, so I'm guessing some other piece came flying out. Instead of buying a new control from mikes for $46, I figured I could rewire the kill switch to act as the start switch and just eliminate the kill switch. From what I understand, I can just remove the red/white wire and brown wire from the kill switch and connect them. Next I can run the blue/white wire from the start button to one of the kill switch posts and a ground to the other post, since the starter switch works by grounding the solinoid correct? Just want to make sure this will work before I start cutting wire as there isn't much room for mistakes in there.

Pandora....,

Well, that's drastic. Mikes sells a replacement button for the starter. It's listed in his catalog as the horn button. Part #24-6525 @$6.

Or, just wire the starter circuit to the horn button. Wire the other end of the horn to the headlight so the horn won't blow unless the headlight is on. That can be done in the headlight bowl and it's reversible when you get tired of it. The safety relay will keep it from operating the starter when the engine is running.

Ya my headlight is always on so the horn thing could get pretty annoying lol. But thanks for lettin me know about the mikes button, I think I'll add that next time I need to order and keep the killswitch. For now, my kickstart is gonna see more action then ever before :thumbsup:

But would my wiring configuration work ??

Back