Lacing 36 hole rear hubs ????

bkaushansky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to lace up a 36 hole drum rear for 18" to check for fit. Purchased Buchanan stainless spokes. The ones that go from the outside in fit through the hole but when they get to the "fat" part of the spoke before the bend, they bind and will not push through. Anyone know what's the deal??? Doesn't happen with all the spoke holes, just some?? Can I just ream the holes a bit??

Thanks.
b.

Attachments

• IMG00043-20110309-1948.jpg
    IMG00043-20110309-1948.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 85
First of all do the ones that go from inside to outside first (outers) yes it is ok to adjust the hole size and is common with those spokes. Then do the outside to inside (inners) last. Leave everything loose until all spokes are in

That's backwards I think. You need to install all the inners 1st, hook them to the rim, then do the outers. I do all the inners at once, then one side of outers at a time .....

InnerSpokes.jpg

OuterSpokeInstall.jpg

I probably did it wrong, but:

I put one inner and outter (right next to each other. Then crossed them and found holes that worked the best for starters. Then kept on with the same pattern till it was finished..

A call to Buchanan's to confirm that I can drill the holes in the hubs. 2 beers, 3 hours.....One laced rear. (i'm a slow drinker when I'm frustrated). Now to take it all apart for powder coating. :banghead:

Back