Lacing pattern for 64 spoke wheel

XS Chop

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a 64 spoke XS wheel they can take a look at for me.

Question: When looking at the hub, do the inners from one side line up with the inners on the other side, or do they line up with the outers. Hopefully the crudely drawn image will help to clarify my question.

Story: Lacing my first wheel. Scored a 64 spoke hub on eBay, ordered up a 21" rim and spokes from Mikes XS. Took a lot of work cleaning up the hub, not perfect but came out pretty good for a 30+ year old part. Never had a completed version to look at other than pics I found on the internet. Logic was telling me to do the opposite but I went with what it seemed as if I as seeing in the pics, inners above inners, outers above outers. Looks good but the outer spokes all seem to have more thread left then the inners. That's just from hand tightening, haven't begun to true it up yet.

Hoping someone can confirm this for me before I break it down and start over. By the way, anyone who's looking to get ambitious and try lacing one up, other than having this question it hasn't been bad at all so far.
294208[/ATTACH]"]
Laced.jpg

20130216_105215.jpg

Attachments

• Laced.jpg
    Laced.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Here is a picture of mine.I don't know if it will help.I just cut mine apart this morning.

Attachments

• xs wheels 002.jpg
    xs wheels 002.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 385
  • xs wheels 003.jpg
    xs wheels 003.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 206
  • xs wheels 004.jpg
    xs wheels 004.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 154
  • xs wheels 008.jpg
    xs wheels 008.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 206
I did a new 64 spoke wheel just a little while ago. Took me three tries to get it right. On the final try, I used the marks on the hub from the original spokes to help me get started. After you do a few spokes, the pattern becomes obvious.

Usually, the original spokes leave some wear marks on the hub and you can go by them to re-establish a proper and correct pattern .....

SpokeMarks.jpg
SpokeMarks.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'm still unsure. I'll look for the marks when it's disassembled, hard to see now, I spent a lot of time polishing them out before lacing. JFowler's 4th pic was really helpful, still hard to tell 100% but it leads me to believe I have it wrong. Hockey's on Tuesday night, I'll break it back down while watching the game and put it together again then. Hopefully I'll have the definitive answer at that point, I'll let you know what I find out.

To get a good polished look to the hub. Cut a piece of flat stock to just cover opposing bolt holes. Drill out holes for the lugs and one for the center. Run a bolt through the center to put in chuck of drill press. Use different grades sand paper till you get a polished finish. When lacing, start with your inner laces first on both sides. They will be in pairs. Once you start you will get the pattern. Keep a pic of the original next to you. If this is your first rim, have it professionally trued. You don't want to find out a 80mph you did it wrong. Hope this helps a little.

XS Chop, did you get sorted? I've just done mine

Yeah, apologies for for abandoning the thread before answering. Took a few more tries and a lot of frustration but finished it up a couple on nights later. Hard to describe for anyone looking here for help but I'll try. My problem was, because of the way it's set up, I was thinking in pairs. Have to throw that idea out the window, think as if it were a 34 spoke and move over one hole on the other side, not one pair of holes like I was doing. Basically, if you have a pair of outers on one side, you'll have one outer and one inner across from them on the other side. Here are a couple of pics, hopefully this will hope the next guy trying this for the first time.
2784f4ef-4f27-43da-b538-f1f9a0a6a15b.jpg
95c62399-5f42-4f1c-a5c4-7c5d0f4ccc15.jpg

Yep, I started on the inners, did both sides, then the outers, that way you get the overlap right.

Also, there are two diferent lengths of each inner and outer - that tripped me up first time. I wonders why both the inners and outers came in two wraps each !!! :)

I didn't know you did "custom" - next you'll be showing me your hardtail chopper :D

That's one good looking motorcycle. By the way, you wouldn't happen to know the spoke lengths for a 64 spoke rim would you. I think I've been shipped spokes that are too long.
I'll go look, there's a pretty good chance the old pack rat saved the original set.

Last edited:
That's one good looking motorcycle. By the way, you wouldn't happen to know the spoke lengths for a 64 spoke rim would you. I think I've been shipped spokes that are too long.
sorry bill I have about 15 sets of old spokes and even the leftovers from the 21" set but no 64 spoke 19" I could find.
:twocents:
Often "too long spokes" are one or two holes too close on the hub pattern...
64 spoke pics from the "files"
hs front wheel 005.JPG
hs front wheel 006.JPG
hs front wheel 007.JPG
hs front wheel 008.JPG
hs front wheel 009.JPG
hs front wheel 011.JPG
hs front wheel 012.JPG

Back