I purchased some bullet style LED turn signals for my XS650.

I replaced the stock yamaha flasher relay with a Grote Industries variable load
electronic led flasher.

http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=44891

It is a 3 prong setup with an external ground, which I connected to where
the coil attaches to the frame.

With a battery at 12.7v and over, I turn the ignition on, you can hear the
relay activate.

But none of my turn signals work...

Am I missing something here?

The only wiring that I am aware of regarding the lights is the ground for each
signal and the power lead for each signal.

Where am I going wrong? Any ideas?

Hi Was there a answer to this question as Im having the same problem???

You can get a jacket with LED turn signals on the back and not have them on your bike......just to be different. Actualy I think it was developed for cyclists.

Hello, is my first time that I am speaking on ester forum but I can tell you that thanks to the I could assemble my bobber, I have a question: I run my bobber without battery (with a capacitor) can I use DHL lights for the headlight, and LED for directional lights and rear lights without battery?

I welcome to the site.
I'm not sure about the dual head lights
But the turns and tail and stop lights would be a good thing since they draw less current. You will probably need a flasher for leds though

I bought a hand full of different LED 1157 bulbs on ebay just to try them out. They were cheap and direct from china, $2 - $4 each, including shipping??? How do they do that?

Well they were cheap. out of the 4 different styles only 1 held together and worked for more then a few outings and i am watching this now too. I hear they have better quality models for more money but it seems they are all from china and just relabled so who knows.

LEDs do use less than incandescent lights do.
That's the reason for LED flasher
What little I know about HID they do use less power and voltage than halogen bulbs
And don't forget to take a look at the ballasts that are provided. They must be protected against reverse polarity and they must be shockproof, waterproof, and dustproof

I agree with Carbon on this and have to add that I've ran into problems on customer vehicles that have the aftermarket HID head lights where the ballast weren't lasting because they are not standing up to shock and constant on,off use. Factory units on Audi's,BMW's and others are extremely expensive for a reason.

Ok I am intrigued how do you make one? Well the whole hacksaw and silicone thing.
I know for a fact that www.superbrightleds.com is great and has awesome flashers too. I personally use the LF1-S-FLAT Universal Motorcycle Electronic Flasher. It is a solid state flasher and it is small approx 1.5" x 1.5". No need for load resistors and you can use it with or without LEDs

I purchased some bullet style LED turn signals for my XS650.

I replaced the stock yamaha flasher relay with a Grote Industries variable load
electronic led flasher.

http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=44891

It is a 3 prong setup with an external ground, which I connected to where
the coil attaches to the frame.

With a battery at 12.7v and over, I turn the ignition on, you can hear the
relay activate.

But none of my turn signals work...

Am I missing something here?

The only wiring that I am aware of regarding the lights is the ground for each
signal and the power lead for each signal.

Where am I going wrong? Any ideas?

I had been searching for a flasher that would work. Right now, I am only using L. E. D. s in back and regular turn signals in front none of the electronic flashers I tried worked. As I was scouring the web I saw something that said. try the 552 fix it is a variable load 2 prong flasher from NAPA 3.49. It fixed my 1980 XS650 right up. Beats the hell out 11.99-18.99 for the rest.

lonzo22 : Dude the posting above has a website that you can get an LED flasher, for cheap, but great quality. It will work with both the LEDs and filament bulbs. I know for sure it works because I have them on two of my bikes and I haven't had any problem. Seriously, they are small and to wire them all you have to do is run your power going to your switch through it and done. It has a red and black wire coming from it. The red signifies the power in and the black signifies the power out through the flasher to switch. NOT NEGATIVE OR GROUND.

Back