Left turn signal no flash

Pina

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
76 XS650C, I was toying with the idea of relocating my turn signals over the weekend. I opened up the headlight to see what I was working with. I unplugged the left side to check cable length and all that. In the end I decided to hold on relocating until I upgraded to LED's.

This morning I went to go put everything back together and once I did the left side does not flash. Right side is fine see this video, no flash.

I've checked my connections and they're good.
turn signal connection.jpg

I looked inside the turn signal switch and did not see any broken connections
turn signal switch.jpg

if you looked at the video link up top you can see the right side works great and once I switch to the left side you can hear the relay switch on and stay on. Both the front and rear turn signals stay on.

Could the relay have gone bad?

If one side is blinking and the other isn't i wouldn't think its the relay. More like a lack of power getting through the system..........Pull all connectors again, check and clean. (real important the bullet connecters are clean and have good contact), Could also be just one of those things that happen as your doing somehting. Check your bulbs, meaning remove them and make sure ther e is no corrosion around the socket. Put them back in a see if those to things fix the prob.

make sure your battery if fully charged. A low battery will cause the blinkers to come on and not flash.........Because one side does flash that makes the battery less likely the culprit. Still, make sure it is topped up

Bullet connecters are quite hard to pull apart and reconnect............It looks like the single one, (of the 3 Ch, (chocolate), wires/triple bullet connecter in pic 1) may not be fully inserted into the female socket

It also looks like a Dg, (dark green) wire

Last edited:
Did you probe the feed from the handle bar switch for power the signal light itself?

Ground?

Try another relay?

Skull is right, it wouldn’t be the relay. Either it would work or it wouldn’t. I made the mistake originally of mixing up a dark green where a ground should be and it took me a minute to find it. They are very close.

I'd also check the ground connections to make sure they're clean and tight

From the 76C assembly manual............I had already followed/drawn in the Indicater circuit...........You already know this but the diagram may come in handy
76C Assembly manual - parts  Manualt19 19 copyright.jpg

From your pic. Question on the 2 red arrows.........is the wire the same one because it looks to Be Dg.

Th yellow arrow shows the end of the bullet connector. This is why i thought it want full inserted. second look it is the shrink wrap has come off, it still needs to be fixed. Exposed metal potential short
turn signal connection copy.jpg
shor

Hey everyone, the battery is putting out 12.2 volts and the light was getting 11.5. I turned the machine on and now both blinkers work. Thanks for everyones input on this. I appreciate the advice.

I just now looked at the vid..............maybe dumb question, but it doesn'r show if the back light comes on. Is it working ??? If it doesn't that would stop the front from flashing, If the back comes on and no flash deisregard this post and go back to normal scheduling/previous posts

Back