Lithium Batteries w/ stock charging system?

Lithium battery cells that are electrically abused (or not) like to swell up.
A common failure. Can't tell if JP's swelled or not.
@grizld1 's point a good one, backyard engineers often fail to heed the lesson of Yamaha's extensive efforts to isolate critical electronics from (cough) repetitive back and forth motion, cuz well XS650's don't vibrate. Why Yamaha tended to bolt as much as it could to the rubber mounted battery box using battery mass as a damper.
My :twocents:
The up and down oscillation at the front of the motor lump tends to pivot on a lever arm of the heavy stationary transmission. Result is like a teeter totter, points aft of the tranmission get shaken like a rat by a terrier. the further aft you go the greater the amplitude. Why (even with) all the rubber mounts, tail lights, license plates tend to crack and break.
Some enterprising fellow should cast fresh silicone rubber battery box mounts, those old rock hard rubber pads now do little of their intended job.... ;^)
No swelling noted - the lid would reattach if I was so inclined. However, you've identified another of my install's failure: the cage was bolted directly to the frame - solid mount. So, along with the supplied foam in the cage, the mounts will get some thick rubber isolators👍

"Backyard engineer" indeed; it was in a well-lit, air-conditioned shop:laugh2:

Last edited:
Blimey my old school battery must be getting a hammering mounted up on the tail of my bike....Yikes!

IMG_1823.jpeg

No swelling noted - the lid would reattach if I was so inclined. However, you've identified another of my install's failure: the cage was bolted directly to the frame - solid mount. So, along with the supplied foam in the cage, the mounts will get some thick rubber isolators👍

"Backyard engineer" indeed; it was in a well lit air-conditioned shop:laugh2:
I still think you did a great job. Yamaha had a team of engineers and technicians to get it right. You built a new motorcycle with their engine in it. BRAVO!
It just goes to show the pitfalls of building and then riding a custom motorcycle. Even the big chopper shops had a lot of fails. For most, I expect most attempts end up in the dump, because getting it right is extremely complicated. Those here who pull it off have exceptional talent.

Thanks Marty. And to Gary for the idea to rubber mount the cage in addition to the padding. The engineers in Shizuoka, Japan went to great lengths to cushion the battery and I just plain ignored it on fitting the Shorai.

We can rebuild him, we have the technology - :smoke:

I think it's ready for another attempt. The cage isn't as elaborate as factory, but we've gone from an 8 pound battery down to a 1.7 pound battery. Now lined with the Shorai foam padding (I thought mostly to take-up extra space) and some red rubber isolator pads. The battery is really snuggled in there now. The wedge shaped one fits in the "crotch" at the back of the frame backbone.
20220913_164918 (2).jpg
20220913_171053 (2).jpg
20220913_170132 (2).jpg

Well, the replacement has arrived and it certainly comes with plenty of padding.....
20220915_130833.jpg

However, (and in the backyard engineer's defense) the instruction only describe using the padding for sizing the battery to the "vehicles battery box" and makes no mention of vibration isolation at all (nada). But, who reads directions?
20220915_130844 (2).jpg

WE know better now, don't we....:laugh2:

On your old battery, were the wires pulling on the battery terminals or did the lay naturally. Just wondering if the combination of vibrating and pulling would cause the top of the battery to break off? Does the top of the new battery seem secure?

On your old battery, were the wires pulling on the battery terminals or did the lay naturally. Just wondering if the combination of vibrating and pulling would cause the top of the battery to break off? Does the top of the new battery seem secure?
The battery cables have plenty of play. The new "top" is very secure. I'm reasonably certain it was a victim of vibration and shock from the roads. If it were sized into the factory designed cage (box) it would be isolated - my cage was rigid. My bad design - twas jesting about the foam.

im planning to run the stock charging system with the generic rectifier and bosch re55 regulator on an lithium battery, most likely antigravity. honestly its just a fingers crossed that it wont catch fire. how worried should i be? running all LEDs on a motogadget too for lighting and pamco e-ignition.

This season I've been using a lifepo4 pack on my Suzuki LS650. I bought 8 26650 cells and taped them together in a 4s2p config. I would really like to try a single string of four cells for the XS. I'm guessing it's slightly easier to crank..

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_163240.jpg
    IMG_20210410_163240.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 63
The Suzuki has a permanent magnet alternator and a 14.4 volt regulator. It seems to work fine. I not even using the balancing circuit yet (didn't fit in the airbox 😅).

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_144813.jpg
    IMG_20210710_144813.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 67
This season I've been using a lifepo4 pack on my Suzuki LS650. I bought 8 26650 cells and taped them together in a 4s2p config. I would really like to try a single string of four cells for the XS. I'm guessing it's slightly easier to crank..
Have you got a link you can share so I can read more about this? I'm needing a small battery and anti gravity batteries are out of stock everywhere. This might be a good solution for me.

This video was my main inspiration. I bought the batteries at nkon.nl and the balancer at lipopower.de (I live in Denmark). The balancer is actually not made for lifepo4, so it doesn't really do anything. Maybe it can be modified to work at a lower voltage. But I'm not sure exactly how..

Back