Loading/Moving Engine by Yourself

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I'm a one-man operation at home. Don't know too many people.

I'm buying an engine, he can help me load the thing, but I'll be alone when I get home.

How can I get this thing out of my station wagon without buggering it up?

I was thinking some system of boards screwed/bolted to the engine to use as levers

Posted via Mobile

get a good grip, pick it up. it's not *that* heavy. have a scooter board waiting at the tailgate of your estate, use your knees, not your back, voila.

Yup, I've done it many times. I usually make it as light as possible first. Drain the fluids, even taken off the rotor/stator. Wear a ratty shirt because it's going to get dirty. Hug it, grabbing from the bottom, a deep breath and lift, followed by lots of grunting and course words. Then I set it down in my kids red Radio Flyer Wagon to move it around tha garage. It's awkward if anything, I think around 130 lbs. And I'm no athlete, ~210 lbs, 6' tall, and work in a cubical all day..

You know, this is a really good question. My involvement with this bike has made me really aware that I tend to be a bit of a loner, and f2f friends are good to have, but part of the responsibility for making them is mine. It's interesting how much bikes can teach us about ourselves. In my case, I need to make an effort to be more social. It's the curse part of enjoying your own company, I guess.

But +1 on using your legs for heavy weight... NOT your back.

TC

If you've ever seen the chopper build off shows or other prime time cable bike building shows, you see guys lifting 100ci V-twins by themselves all the time. Easy, no. Doable, yes. XS650 motor is lighter than those by a fair amount. Though I suppose it does depend on your physical condition or limitations a lot.

Wrap a towel around the jugs so you don't impale your forearms with the exhaust studs....

+1 on the towel idea i pulled my engine myself. Thankfully im under 30 so i still have a little young muscle left in me. it was doable but the towel would have made it hurt alot less on the forearms.....

Invest in an engine hoist. Get one that folds up and it doesn't even take up much room. You will find about a bazillion other uses for it once you have it. I work by myself alot and couldn't live without one.

You know, this is a really good question. My involvement with this bike has made me really aware that I tend to be a bit of a loner, and f2f friends are good to have, but part of the responsibility for making them is mine. It's interesting how much bikes can teach us about ourselves. In my case, I need to make an effort to be more social. It's the curse part of enjoying your own company, I guess.

But +1 on using your legs for heavy weight... NOT your back.

TC
Your comments show you are now a candidate for Robert Pirsig's outstanding book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" Highly recommended.

You have to know your own capabilities when it comes to lifting. If you do not feel comfortable do not lift it by yourself. I am 61 years old and lift these engines often. I have been an athlete in the past and weigh about 210 plus. When younger did lift things that I should not have lifted and paid the price with a couple of hernias. If you have a 2x6 plank to use as a ramp it will work. Good luck Tony C

Been bench pressing cycle engines for 40 years, its not that hard.

Now a Indian square four, theres a ball buster

As long as the bottom of the engine stays above your knees you will be OK. Don't try to pick it up off the floor, or set it on the floor. Now read my tag line, sigh.............

The problem with boards to slide the engine down is, invariably, the boards will come off the tail gate and the engine will drop to the floor.

I'm getting old and was never robust enough to do the things I wanted. I work alone all the time but I do have family to bother for little tasks. I'm thinking, back the car to the garage or some where in the yard to get the tailgate as low as possible. Manuver the engine to the tail gate. Place a sturdy tall sawhorse or something strong enough and stabile close to the tailgate. Run a heavy board like a 4x4 or a couple of 2x4s over the sawhorse to make a lever. Strap/chain the engine to the end of the lever to lift the engine and have wife/kid drive the car away (bitching the entire time because Dad bothered them!). Drop the engine on the ground and use a 2 wheeled dolly to drag it to it's storage area.

Another way. Do you have a work spot for the engine? Make a quick work table the height of the tail gate and slide the engine from the tailgate onto the work table. I use 2x3s and cheap 3/4" plywood for work tables and benches. Glue and drywall screws make it strong. Find or cut the plywood top. Make two 2x3 squares the same size as the top. Cut 4 legs to length. Nail/screw the top to a square. Turn over and screw the 4 legs into each corner. Flip back upright and screw the bottom of the legs inside the other square. Strong, stabile, light and CHEAP.

Tom Graham

If he has an inclined drive way the distance to the ground from the tailgate is going to be very small. The incline of the board want be severe and should not move, especially if he is beside the engine. Tony C

Back