Long time reader, new member, having an issue with my clutch (1972 XS2)

when you have adjusted the worm drive adjuster right in did you feel the resistance when it tightened the inner cable ? if not then adjust the clutch lever adjuster out a few turns and adjust the worm drive bolt again until you feel the resistance.

What is happening when you pull the clutch lever in ??? Does the lever go right in to the handlebar ? is it soft and loose or is it tight and jammed

looking at the video I am wondering if your clutch pack is jammed or you have the wrong ball bearing somewhere which is jammed ?
We need to know what is happening at the lever ...a video would be good

Last edited:
The clutch feels tight when I pull it, very tough to get it back to the handle bar. I'll get a video in a minute once I put the case back on. I backed the worm drive screw out pretty far then screwed back in until I felt a little resistance then back a 1/4 turn. Then tightened then nut.

I have the long pushrod with two ball bearings. Earlier I did a measurement to Check if the internal ball was inside and according to that measurement it was (learned this off another thread) And like I said the clutch worked okay before I began all this, it just was a little stiff.

Will post another video in a minute - thank god I have some shade today atleast!

your video is not playing for some reason ? could you upload it to youtube again please?

ps did you make sure that there was still a ball bearing inside the worm gear ?

Last edited:
The plastic gear may have cracked. If so the gear will spread first then pull so you will lose some of the movement.
Yes the spring tension of the pressure plate will be more than an unbolted sidecover. So the sidecover needs to be bolted down to keep it in place.

Yes, I'm thinking the nylon female portion of your worm assembly may be shot, either badly worn out or cracked.

I didn't disassemble the worm gear to check the nylon part, but perhaps that could be what's happening. I'll look into that. The ball bearing is inside, just kind of stuck towards the back with grease. Should it move more freely?

I don't think your spring is bad. If you look long and hard you might find something in a hardware store but I doubt it.
These springs like the advance unit springs are a one off job specific item. No longer available from Yamaha to order but call enough dealerships and you can find NOS on someone's shelf or there is e-bay.

Okay well thanks a lot guys for the quick responses. Don't get too many days to work on this and want to get her back on the road!

I'll look at the nylon and see if I have to order that.. Or perhaps just order a new assembly.

The original problem was that the clutch lever wasn't really effecting whether it would go into gear or not, it would engage before I could release it... So maybe that is why.

well am I the only one who thinks that the starting position of the worm arm is still wrong ?

Just to satisfy me arrange the cover horizontally across your front and start the worm arm at 3am it should finish at 7pm not 8 oclock where it seems to be now

I just pulled the male end of the drive out and inspected the nylon female end, it all looks okay and moves smoothly and without issue by hand when the cable is off. So I'm guessing something else is up.

Gonna reassemble everything and give it another shot. Maybe the new cable fixed the issue .

well am I the only one who thinks that the starting position of the worm arm is still wrong ?

Just to satisfy me arrange the cover horizontally across your front and start the worm arm at 3am it should finish at 7pm not 8 oclock where it seems to be now

Do you mean like this?

The amount of worm rotation and subsequent pushrod travel is barely adequate on these. A worn (or cracked) worm, or improper adjustment can cut the pushrod travel even more. Then you don't get enough clutch plate separation. Shifting is hard, neutral finding at a stop nearly impossible.

You could do with an upgrade. The later longer arm worm style will ease your lever pull. I don't think you can buy these parts new from Yamaha anymore. Mike's only sells a complete assembly, not male and female parts separately. That wouldn't help anyway. The sizing on the MikesXS worm gear is slightly different. You can't mix the MikesXS male or female part with stock ones. They don't fit together.

Your install appears to be correct. There are four splines or "swirls" on the male part of the worm. That means you can start it threading into the female part in one of four positions. Only one will result in the worm arm being angled as it should be when fully turned into the female part. The other three starting points would place the worm arm 90° or 180° away from that 7 or 8 o'clock fully seated position. It's pretty easy to see and realize you have it wrong. It wouldn't be possible to hook the cable to it in the other three positions.

Yeah after looking at it a bit more and putting it in different positions I can see what you mean. If it's installed wrong, the drive isn't seated completely.

Back