Low buck build- #2

Beau

I like metal.
Reaction score
I need a place to store info and have a build. This will be the spot. I also want to try and keep this under $1500.

I picked up a 1975 XS-B frame and title. The title says 1975 Yamaha RS:doh: $25 delivered

I have a 1981 XS-H Special II for a donor frame/engine/rear wheel/electrics. The engine is missing the carbs and oil drain plug. Engine was painted black by some PO and sat outside for a short time) $250 delivered

21" Harley front wheel with tire- $75

Triumph Bonneville gas tank at local garage sale- $15 (added to the pile) SOLD OFF

Oil drain plug and spare oil pan- $19 delivered

Drag Specialties OLD SCHOOL rectangle taillight- $25

OLD Bar Enterprises solo seat- $75

1978 Harley Superglide front end- $150

K&N 21" one inch drag bars- $20 SOLD OFF

9.5' of 1" DOM tubing- $35

10.5 Harley shocks- $60

Honda XL gas tank- $45 (now added to pile, going on my CB500/5 chopper) SOLD OFF

3" rise bars (ended up being bent, added to the pile) JUNK

1" Harley bars to chop- $5

Narrowglide front fender- $25 SOLD OFF

CZ tank (CZ model #988 250 Enduro, used from years 1974-76+, the 175 used the same tank) $85

Electrosport 3-phase stator- $60

1983 Mikuni Carbs- $50

RZ350 stator- free

Goldwing Front fender- $35

Pit bike foot pegs- $15

Chrome Harley Foots pegs- $10

Risers- $10

BS38 carbs, early ignition parts- $50

Sportster tank found at garage sale- $25

Engine gasket set- $60

Belt sander, Polisher, sand paper and compound- $120 (still cheaper than paying someone)

Headlight- Free

Slash cut pipes- $2

Mid control shifter linkage- $1

Old School 16x500 Arco tire on 16" rim- $20

The engine is going to be rebuilt by a friend of mine. I don't plan on doing anything crazy. I'd rather have it reliable than fast. But I hope to remove the past owners rattle can paint job and do some detail work to clean the engine up a bit.

The forks are undecided at the moment. I'm waiting to see what comes up.

I'm not sure if I'm going to purchase the David bird Loop tail or attempt to make my own rear end. I may try both. A friend of mine from Peacock Groove will be doing all of my final welds. After a lot of thought I think I'm going to leave the rear end stock length with a small rake on the front.

I have pics but they are not worth posting. Just a pile of parts.

Last edited:
Yup. Looptails were use on a lot of old school BMX bikes also and I really love the look of them.

I picked up an old Bar Enterprises Solo seat in great shape and also a real nice old school Drag Specialties "The Knight Light" taillight for $100.

I paid a bit more than I would have wanted, but the guy let me dig through a garage and basement full of parts unattended. SUPER nice Harley guy. I have a feeling making friends with him will help me out in the long run, so it's an investment.

Um....I like these things they call "Bratstyle". The more I read through the other threads here the more I think the suspension in the back is a good thing. After looking through photos I saw the bratstyle term come up. A quick search lead me to what I think I want to build. Some of the SR500 stuff is also amazing.

I really like the look of the stock/shorter rear ends on these bikes. They look a little more practical to me.

photo%2015031.jpg

Hardtails goodbye.

Headin' out now to pick up a '78 Harley Superglide front end for $150! Thanks to this wonderful forum I even have a guide to make the fork fit!

Once I get the forks put on I can start to work on the frame! Wahoo!

I think it is a lot harder to make a brat look good versus a hardtail. I see a ton of brats, the one above looks awesome, but that's the exception. You can slap a hardtail together relatively easy and make it look alright. But this is just my opinion. I would ride the hell outta that brat up there, and it doesn't look like it would be too much work.

Bratstyle is my next bike I'm building over the winter. Got some pretty cool ideas for it.

XS Joel- I agree. I see about 10% of them that I like, and 90% that are OK. The more I look at stretched hard tails the more I'm turned away from them. I still prefer the hard tail look though.

Since I'm shooting for under $1500, the soft tail is a better option.

I have two frames though. so I may do one up as a soft tail, and the other a hard tail.

Last edited:
That is one of my favorites from Bratstyle. They're making some beautiful scoots. And it's great they have created such a buzz that people are actually using their name as an overall design name, although the style has been around for about as long as rear suspension.

One thing to remember; that bike is low slung and looks sweet, but it isn't really ride-able either. The seat, rear fender and tire are all WAY too close together. Add a 150 pound rider and something is going to be binding up. Hit a bump and you have a new rear brake.

Look forward to the build.

Teebs- The rear fender has been the one thing i have been brain storming. I'd rather not mount in to the swingarm though. Once I have the shocks I'll be able to pull the springs and set my top out. I'm guessing the hard part is getting the fender to tuck the tire while parked and also while it's being ridin'. I have been looking at your build a LOT for inspiration.

Like I said, this build will probably take me a year. I change my mind a lot. :)

Thanks for the input. I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for a week long self supported bicycle trip. 500 miles of pedaling should give me plenty of time to think about things!

Last edited:
Quick update.

I sold off the wide glide wheel I had and picked up a narrow glide wheel with a new tire. So $25 more into the thing.

I have been bending tubes and playing with different ideas for the soft tail rear end.

I gotta say, if you think Bratstyle's bikes are simple machines turned into soft tails you're wrong. It's REALLY tough to get the XS600 to have clean lines out back with shocks. The biggest problem is how/where the swingarm mounts and also the bracing. I have a pile of recycled conduit I have been using and I just about pulled my hair out trying to get the right lines. I now realize how easy hard tails are compared to soft tail chops.

It's gonna take a night of sitting in a chair staring at it until I figure this out.

Nice. I am glad you are having trouble, only because it shows that you aren't just slapping it together. I am really into this build man, keep it up!

Why are you messing with the swingarm pivot?

I'm not! As far I can tell, that has to stay where it is because of the chain correct? I'm assuming the pivot is at the same height as the front sprocket so the chain doesn't get slack in it during travel.

All I'm saying is there has to be a way to clean that up a bit. It's the ugliest part of the frame IMO.

I have today and tomorrow off though. We got back from our bicycle trip early. Did 200 miles in two days and my friends knees went out. Loaded down with 50pounds of gear each and he couldn't handle it! So now I have two more day off to start playing!

I had a little time to play around with the bike today.

I started making the seat loop so it would fit around the seat I bought. I just used pieces of the stock XS frame to make it. I didn't want to have to buy material. To my surprise the stock XS hoop matched the back part of the seat quite well. This is all set on the frame for mock up. I need to wait until I get the forks rear shocks set up.

I apologize for the grainy cell phone pics. I have yet to find a good camera I want to buy.

IMG00001-20101007-2005.jpg

IMG00002-20101007-2005.jpg

IMG00004-20101007-2006.jpg

IMG00006-20101007-2006.jpg

Back