LOWERING the ENGINE in the FRAME

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Fellers, take a look at the pics. I want to lower the engine. I can change the aluminium brackets, so that's no obstacle. What I want to do is remove the fixing points on the frame that support the bolt through the lower engine. Then I will put them (or new ones) on the underside of the frame.

Can anyone see any reason why I can't do that? I can't see a problem, but it's always better to check with the greater engineering knowledge.

ANLAF

Attachments

• DSCF3733.jpg
    DSCF3733.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF3734.jpg
    DSCF3734.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF3735.jpg
    DSCF3735.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 105
can you trust the alloy mounting plates not to fatigue from vibration?

Not sure if there's enuff frame clearance with the mounts completely under the frame.
Might think about semi-circular notches in frame bottom, weld mounts into notches...

TwoMany, you are right. Not enough clearance for the engine to be lowered as I described, and I am not experienced enough in welding to mess with notching the frame. I'll have a word with a welder friend.

Lakeview, I was a bit apprehensive about the ally brackets, myself, but they are a 1/4 thick.

Bucko, the engine will be as low as my other bike, and enough clearance.

ANLAF

They are in there, JP50515, and they are going to stay in there. I gave one of the brackets a good polishing with the buffer on the grinder, and it came up a treat.

ANLAF

Back