Master cylinder reservoir angle question

Norton7d

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Once my new brake line shows, I won't have any excuse not to mout my new M/C but, my style of bars drops a bit at the end and as such, the M/C will be at a notable angle.
Is there any concern regarding brake fluid always being near or above the lid seal?
Of course it should have enough to never drop below the threshold for proper operation but it seems like with this aftermarket M/C MM sold me, the angle concern will always be present.

As long as you are able to set the master cylinder level for filling it, possibly bike on side-stand and bars turned, there should not be a problem. Once you have the lid on and tightened there should not be a leak.

Here it is, I would have move the MC quite a bit to have it be level at address.

Attachments

• 20200424_074032.jpg
    20200424_074032.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 20200424_074227.jpg
    20200424_074227.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 224
Nice bike! A better fit would be an MC from an XS Special or a Virago depending on your objective here. I have seen a couple of bikes about with a similar angle to their reservoir. The important part is that the brake fluid covers the MC intake well for different riding positions. Why this particular MC? Are you looking to improve the braking by lowering the MC piston diameter? Possibly a change of handlebar could give you a better angle for the reservoir if you are unsure.

Yes, needed a new MC and this is what MM at 650 Central recommended.
I may try to tilt the bars a little more upright to decrease angle.

Well the smaller later MCs will prolly improve action. Generally early disc brakes had "too big of bore" MCs.

Yes, a stock 14mm angled MC from a Special may do the trick. While I still had mine in service, it sat quite nicely on my Euro bars, more level than the non-angled Standard version .....

lzutB53.jpg

AjGQIhR.jpg

Here's my Standard MC on Euro bars .....

EGBMWc5.jpg

But, since I have Euro bars and Standard type MCs on both 650s now, both angle as above and I've never had any issues running them like that.

Back