McMaster Carr's Tygon fuel line

Bosco - the place I buy my Tygon from here in Adelaide has some in a jar of petrol, on the front counter, thats supposedly been there for ages - and of course it still looks good. I like the way and how easy it is to bend which allows me to fit the small fuel filters down the inside side of the 38's.
Regards Ray.

A couple years ago, I bought an un-opened 50-foot box of Tygon SE-200 for $50 on eBay. The box, the sealed plastic bag, and every foot of the line were properly labeled. I looked up that code before I bought it, and it was good. It is a clear variant. One dollar per foot. The seller had two more boxes -- was going to post it on the Forum, but never got around to it.
Just checked McMaster Carr's website for the F 4040-A
The industry standard for fuel and lubricant applications, this tubing can be used intermittently with petroleum-based products without becoming hard or brittle. Do not use with ethanol-based gasoline. It is flexible, so it bends easily around objects.
  • Clear Tygon formulation SE-200 polyvinyl chloride (PVC) to visually monitor flow
  • Fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP) lining for increased resistance to chemicals, solvents, and alcohols
  • Compatible MaterialAir , Beverage , Ethylene Glycol , Food , Hydraulic Oil , Water

Can I offer a meek response.? Fruel line is really cheap compared to the hassle of a leak 2 or 3 or 4 years later. Replace it if the last time you had your tank off is two years ago.
I'm just going to use what Tygon that I have and see how well it works
If need be I can always switch to the Tygon SE 200

I only had an issue with one batch of tygon an ebay deal it was medical tygon and would swell a bit. I mostly buy Oregon branded fuel line now cuz the local farm store stocks it. It's the usual tygon color. I mostly but not always run non ethanol. With higher prices may use a bit more regular. I had a long chunk of that cheesy eBay line in my riding mower for more than ten years it always got the cheap gas and dregs from drag home barn bikes, that line was still fine and I'd had it on and off several times.

Don't live in Arizona but never had tygon harden. Lot of fuel line gone through here, not kidding, 50-80? Feet? Much of it on bikes I had a long time, rare as that is. I also have one chunk of translucent blue from my powered parachute days has been my drain tanks etc line for many years it's still like new. The vender I got from out of business... Went to find more cuz I liked the look of blue better than the yellow.

There is another grade/type of gas at the pump that you shouldn't buy. Some pumps have 'Unleaded 88' boasting 88 octane instead of 85 or 87 and it's cheaper. This 'Unleaded 88' is actually E15 in disguise. The Feds are trying to fool into using it. DON'T USE IT EITHER...

It is easy to ask yourself why can a little bit of ethanol cause problems. To understand the ethanol problem, looking at the molecular structure answers a lot of questions. Ethanol molecule vs Octane molecule. The smaller molecule can penetrate plastics/ rubbers that gasoline (octane) cannot. I had an early Honda Prelude , 1978 ish, with a plastic carburetor float. The float filled with ethanol. That was a SOB to troubleshoot.
1647361118175.png
1647361180393.png

There is another grade/type of gas at the pump that you shouldn't buy. Some pumps have 'Unleaded 88' boasting 88 octane instead of 85 or 87 and it's cheaper. This 'Unleaded 88' is actually E15 in disguise. The Feds are trying to fool into using it. DON'T USE IT EITHER...
At home we have 4 choices at the pump luckily they are labeled plainly so you can pick the unoxygenated fuel for your small engines but if you are day dreaming theres diesel to chose from among the 3 other grades of gas
One day while daydreaming :banghead: I filled my car tank with unoxygenated fuel now that was an expensive fill up

I usually buy yellow Tygon fuel line but saw Aircraft Spruce had some clear line. Bought some and tried it for the first time. I guess I should have researched it more carefully because the clear stuff doesn’t like fuel ( and it said that somewhere in the catalogue) - my bad, not theirs. The line seems to stiffen up when exposed to gasoline, unlike the yellow stuff. They also sell an opaque line that’s fuel rated so I ordered a couple of feet of that today. I can find another use for the clear stuff. Just an fyi

Plastics vs sunlight.........some of the deteriorated fuel lines that I've seen could have very much been caused by direct sunlight instead of the fuel that they transferred. just another variable in this equation, not discussed.

Just received the opaque Tygon from Aircraft Spruce. It’s quite a bit stiffer than the yellow line. Methinks after I use up the opaque stuff I’ll stick with the yellow.

Plastics vs sunlight.........some of the deteriorated fuel lines that I've seen could have very much been caused by direct sunlight instead of the fuel that they transferred. just another variable in this equation, not discussed.
I worked for a very knowledgeable PhD in chemistry. He pointed out that cheap windshield wipers streaked after 6 months because the manufacturer skipped on the antioxidants in the mix. The polymer is cheap, the antioxidant and impact modifier (adds rubbery feel and rubbery properties) ate expensive.

Tygon isn't a particular "type" of tubing. It's nothing more than a "brand name." Here's the Wiki...

Tygon is a brand name for a family of flexible polymer tubing consisting of a variety of materials to be used "across a range of specialized fluid transfer requirements".[1] The specific composition of each type is a trade secret. Some variants have multiple layers of different materials. Tygon is a registered trademark of Saint-Gobain Corporation. It is an invented word, owned and used by Saint-Gobain and originated in the late 1930s. Tygon products are produced in three countries, but sold throughout the world. Tygon tubing is used in many markets, including food and beverage, chemical processing, industrial, laboratory, medical, pharmaceutical, and semiconductor processing. There are many formulations of clear, flexible, Tygon tubing. The chemical resistance and physical properties vary among the different formulations, but the tubing generally is intended to be "so resistant to chemical attack that it will handle practically any chemical", whether liquid, gas, or slurry.

It looks like different companies... mostly Chines I suspect, have latched onto the Tygon name, rendering it pretty much useless as a determiner of quality. Unless it comes with the trademarked name or logo, it's an illegal knockoff of god only knows quality and usage.

View attachment 209665
Looks like Aircraft Spruce EU are likely the only source I can trust here. I put a deal of trust in their ability to source the real mccoy.

I used the opaque Tygon (thick) line on Go Kart applications. Almost impossible to remove from barbed fittings and push on filters. It usually had to be cut off with a razor knife. Ended up using the yellow neoprene transparent line. The only problem was if it sat for a week it became hard as a rock.:shrug:
Mc91B 002.JPG

I used the opaque Tygon (thick) line on Go Kart applications. Almost impossible to remove from barbed fittings and push on filters. It usually had to be cut off with a razor knife. Ended up using the yellow neoprene transparent line. The only problem was if it sat for a week it became hard as a rock.:shrug:
View attachment 245308
WTF engine is that? Looks interesting.

Back