Mikes XS Rims

46th Georgia

No Talent Hack
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the 19" aluminum rims from MikesXS ? Builting a street tracker from a Spl. have hubs, need rims and spokes.

I bought a couple 2.15 x 19 rims (slightly wider than stock) from them on clearance and they're quite nice .....

NewWheelMounted5.jpg

After building up one, I liked it so much I bought a second to build a spare wheel with.

Get your spokes from XS650Direct. Same spokes at a much better price. The 19" front set in stainless is only about $50.

I also bought both the 18" and 19" alum rims from Mike`s. IMHO a very good rim for the money.:thumbsup:

I bought a couple 2.15 x 19 rims (slightly wider than stock) from them on clearance and they're quite nice .....

View attachment 208003

After building up one, I liked it so much I bought a second to build a spare wheel with.

Get your spokes from XS650Direct. Same spokes at a much better price. The 19" front set in stainless is only about $50.
Thanks,that's what I was hoping to hear.

I also bought both the 18" and 19" alum rims from Mike`s. IMHO a very good rim for the money.:thumbsup:

View attachment 208003

One more quick question. I'm not new to motorcycling by any stretch, but up to now I've never had any reason to vary from stock on rims. I'm building a street tracker from a '81 Spl, I have a set of hubs, F&R, Front is a no brainer, as it will be a std. 19", but I also want to lace up a 19" on the rear. The question now is non std. spokes. Any thoughts?

Is the hub for the rear another front or an actual rear drum hub? If it's the stock rear drum hub then yes, you may need to seek out custom length spokes to put a 19" rim on it. But, it's possible XS1 front drum spokes may work.

Is the hub for the rear another front or an actual rear drum hub? If it's the stock rear drum hub then yes, you may need to seek out custom length spokes to put a 19" rim on it. But, it's possible XS1 front drum spokes may work.
It's a rear drum hub. I believe from an '80 or '81. I'm thinking about calling Buchanen's as they make spokes on site, but you could very well be right on an early drum front.

Just checked. Rear brakes are 180mm and fronts are 192mm.

I take it you mean spoke lengths? I have an actual spoke ruler .....

SpokeRuler6.jpg

You hook the head of the spoke in the tear drop shaped hole in the end .....

SpokeRuler.jpg

SpokeRuler2.jpg

..... then read the length off the other end. This is an 18" rear drum spoke, about 150mm long .....

SpokeRuler3.jpg

Front 19" disc spokes are about 186mm long, XS1 19" front drum about 160mm long.

I take it you mean spoke lengths? I have an actual spoke ruler .....

View attachment 208037

You hook the head of the spoke in the tear drop shaped hole in the end .....

View attachment 208038

View attachment 208039

..... then read the length off the other end. This is an 18" rear drum spoke, about 150mm long .....

View attachment 208040

Front 19" disc spokes are about 186mm long, XS1 19" front drum about 160mm long.
Actually, I was talking about the drum size as per the manual. Where can I get a spoke ruler?

Remember the 81H/SII rear drum brake spokes are for a 16" wheel. On 74-79 standards with the same rear bub the spokes are for an 18" rim,

Getting a 19" for the rear the hole angles may be wrong because they will be angled for the front hub not a rear. I think gggGary went trough this a while ago and i do know, on a wheel he filed/drilled the rim to suit the spoke angle. Could see the change but didn't seem to compromise the fit.

Back