MikesXS replacement cylinder and piston kit

Clerek

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading on another thread that to rebuild the top end, hone cylinder, new pistons, new rings and gaskets was about 300 for a good deal, and upwards of 600 without. My question would be if it would be more cost efficient to just get a new set of everything from mikesxs, or get the replacement cylinder and piston kit (Part #05-0659)?

Is this kit just bolt on or do you need to do anything for this to work? I was also looking into the big bore kit too. Same question...

-Clerek

I've found it to be about $300 to buy new pistons, rings, and have the cylinders bored. For another hundred bucks you could pick up Mikes kit. Seems to me like the extra hundred for a completely new set up is a good deal. But then that hundred bucks may come in handy elsewhere.

I didn't realize Mike's had come out with the 650 kit. That's a good price if its decent. Has anyone used it? I thought people were having some issues with the 750 kit. Anyone really know?

You'll likely want to replace the cam chain, guide and tensioner. I wouldn't tear one down without doing it.

John

Should I even worry about doing it? Bike's got 20,000ish miles and hasn't even been touched since 1995! I want to get in there, but I'm already over budget...Haven't checked compression but as soon as it warms up here a bit, I'm gonna check that out. If it's low then of course I'll tear into it, but if it's good should I even bother? I don't mind getting into the engine, I don't see how it could be more difficult than a car!

Thanks,
-Rick

check compression first, then maybe all it would need is new rings and a hone. of course check the cyclinder to see if it is out of spec with a bore gauge. Your manual should give the specs on it. but it would save you alot of money if you reuse the pistons and just installed some new rings.

I have used both and work fine. I would like to know what the problem is with the 750 kit because i just did 3 and the only difference was the cam chain tensioner.
If you can fine a machine shop thats good in your area then its worth it to just buy pistons and rings gaskets and rehone. But there are alot of machine shops that do car motors and really not setup for motorcycle engines and bore has to be right on. Years ago a local car machine shop near me did a job and it ended up with the bore out just a little and i had to do it over. So if you are not in a area that you know someone work spend the money and buy the kit. Also if you bore you stuff check to see if its stock size or was it bored already. You can also buy from WISCO PISTONS and they offer a boring service. Hope this helped.
I NEED SOME INFO ON THE PROBLEMS WITH THE 750 KITS ANYBODY HAVE PROBLEMS

The 750 kits are fine. The 9.5 compression is lower than the Wiseco 10:1 so you might be able to kick start it, but I doubt it! The moly on the skirts is nice. It has the oiling hole that 650 Central claims is needed. I have 3 or 4K miles on mine and there have been no problems. No oil usage that I can see either. When you need machining, go to a motorcycle shop and ask who they use. A Honda dealer happened to send me over to the Yamaha dealer, who did excellent work.

I wouldn't tear into a motor without running it first. Mine had a ton of compression, but smoked like crazy cause of bad valve stem seals. So i changed those and re-ringed it with a hone. but had it ran well, i wouldn't have opened it. didn't even do valve seat work cause it sealed so well still

Thanks for the reply the kits go together easy with the tapered bottom and i looked twice on the first kit . I thought i left out the rings but it does have some compression. I have built alot of motors and its just nice to use NEW STUFF.

Back