Model Numbers w "F" "SF" and "2F"

otk08065

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the motorcycle world and just purchased an older XS650. The year is 1979, the vin number starts with 2F016 and best I can tell its a XS650F based on the serial number. The bike is painted all black with original mag wheels. The side cover says SPECIAL 650. Can anyone tell me what the meaning of the letters "F" "SF and "2F" for the model year 1979. Also, if it is a XS650F is it possible the manufacturer supplied the bike in Black as well as Cobalt Blue as the model year would indicate. Thanks for any help, Otto. PS: love the forum and looking forward to exploring further.

The "F" is the Standard model. You have an "SF" or Special. The "2F" is the budget version of the Special and has spoke wheels instead of mags, also a rear drum brake instead of the disc.

Welcome!

I have the same year and model XS. I never liked the "cruiser" style, so mine has clubman bars, rearsets, pod filters, and 2-1 exhaust. More sporting/cafe style. Love it!

DLD1

DLD,

I kinda dig the original look for now. If anything, in the future, I may chop it. But it seems the XS650 is a perfect match for cafe conversions. Well done!

Otto

Back