Modern bikes. You have one?

How does it ride? They’re not really my thing but I’ve always wanted to try one out
Rides pretty good, but then my main ride for a few decades has been one of two Harley Sportsters with sidecar so you can take that for what it's worth! It's a bit deferent in that other than lights on horn the only hand control is the throttle. All brakes operate off the right foot brake and the transmission in a variable speed drive just like a Vespa, wife's other ride, so twist and go.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMAG0009.JPG
    IMAG0009.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 93
View attachment 198560
This is the most "modern" bike I owned (still own it I think) and was an absolute gem for Southern Califorinia commuting splitting lanes on the 405 freeway. Alas, I found with family, work, home improvements, the only spare time for riding was after 2 or 3 relaxing beers so wisely (I hope) I sent it with my older son to Minnesota 5 hrs away. He told me he will bring it back anytime but he wants to find an undented tank first. :)
That deer ran right for me

My '16 FJR is my go-to for longer rides. All day comfort, stupid power and claw hammer reliability is a hard combination to beat.
Was there a 2nd gear recall for that year? I replaced a shaft in the transmission of an FJR1300 a year and a half ago under a recall campaign and have kinda had a sour taste in my mouth about em since.

I know most on this forum are not Harley fans but this is the most "modern" bike I own. 2000 FXDWG setup for cruising. Bought in 2008 with 1,800 miles. Shortly after, did a bunch of engine work...had it bored it to 95", polished/ported heads w/oversized valves, 10.5:1 compression, performance valve springs, ground cam chest to allow high lift S&S 583 cam, hydraulic cam plate, adjustable pushrods, high flow oil pump, programmable ignition, 2 into one exhaust, manual compression releases, high output starter for high compression, all LED lights, Mikuni HSR 45mm carb, Sputhe engine mount stabilizers front and rear, Progressive shocks, fan cooled oil cooler, and a bunch of other creature comforts. It's considered by most an obsolete Harley, but will out perform most modern Harleys due to power/weight ratio and handles really well. More torque than needed. I don't want a more modern Harley....tough to work on yourself and these early twin-cams had the more reliable timken crank bearings. Plus, cranks on these early twin cams didn't have the runout issues of post 2002 twin-cams. Although it's been very reliable with about 26,000 miles on the build, I tend to put more miles on my XS's since most rides are usually less than 100-150 miles, and the XS is much easier to start, lol. The Harley is great for longer cruises/motorcycle camping and when I need to pass a semi, definitely don't need to hesitate.
20220821_211019.jpg

I know most on this forum are not Harley fans but this is the most "modern" bike I...
View attachment 252239
I think there are many big V-twin owners here. Not my cup of tea, but certainly worthy bikes. A big V-twin is a different kind of riding often.
I would consider a rubber engine mount sporty at some point but my riding does not beg for a bagger.

Sometimes it just takes the right bike to come along. 1986 FXWG four speed :whistle:
View attachment 252251

Both those H-D's look sweet! Makes me miss my FX Shoveheads.
There was an HD/Schwin bicycle dealer 1/2 mile from home when I was a kid. Needless to say I was there often for bicycle parts so I saw the procession of new HDs in the late 60s early 70s. The new SuperGlide in Captian America livery caught my eye. First time I saw one on the street the rider, with passenger, pulled a clumsy painfully wheelie from a stop sign. Dumbass move etched forever in my memory.
super.jpg

Last edited:
98 Guzzi V11. Bit of a mutt. Guzzi's Harley-wannabe. Big-ass Corbin seat looks out of place, but puts me up about another 3''- great for my 6' 4'' frame. Definitely riding "on" the bike, not cruising "in" it. One of those bikes that called out for adoption. And I ended up adapting to a bike I didn't know I needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    708.8 KB · Views: 36
Was there a 2nd gear recall for that year? I replaced a shaft in the transmission of an FJR1300 a year and a half ago under a recall campaign and have kinda had a sour taste in my mouth about em since.
There was. I took my FJR to the dealer and all the work was performed (and it was A LOT of work) in short order and at no expense. They even took pictures of my torn down motor for me. Not a single problem since. I'd take that bike anywhere.

98 Guzzi V11. Bit of a mutt. Guzzi's Harley-wannabe. Big-ass Corbin seat looks out of place, but puts me up about another 3''- great for my 6' 4'' frame. Definitely riding "on" the bike, not cruising "in" it. One of those bikes that called out for adoption. And I ended up adapting to a bike I didn't know I needed.
I had one. Loved it! I drove it head on into an F150.
🙁

Moto Guzzi: Not recommended.
I had one. Loved it! I drove it head on into an F150.
🙁

Well, I guess I can only add a question and a comment:

QUESTION: Marty - if you liked your Moto Guzzi so much - why did you drive it into an F150?

COMMENT: I assume that "Not recommended" refers to Marty's action described above.

I have had two modern bikes since I got back into riding about 8 years ago after a 25-year hiatus:

1. 2007 Honda ST1300 - like ThatXS650Guy's Yamaha FJR - awesome power, great handling, amazing brakes and all-day comfort, coupled with Honda build quality and granite-like reliability, despite the unrelenting complexity - BUT - ST1300s (aka Pan Europeans outside of North America) are big, heavy (720lbs+) and with no reverse, a bit of a pig to muscle around a parking lot. This was definitely NOT the ideal first bike for a guy who was essentially, a novice rider (I had bought it in 2015 and at the time, I hadn't been on a bike since about 1990).
The ST1300 is sort of like a slightly lighter, much faster and better handling Gold Wing with some great extras like EFI, ABS, linked brakes, an adjustable height seat and an electrically actuated (up-down) windscreen and no less than 30 litres of fuel (enough for about 500 km / 300 miles of riding). The saying was that an ST rider "ran out of @ss before he ran out of gas". On the downside, the ST1300 had just or two features too few (specifically the lack of reverse).
To sum it up, it was the best long-distance tourer since my 1979 Suzuki GS850G, but riding my ST1300 to work was like using a Boeing B52 to drop off the dry cleaning - it will certainly do the job, but it could be viewed by some as perhaps....a tad too much.
2007_Honda-ST1300ABS.jpg

In 2019, I replaced my ST1300 with a 1983 BMW R100RS - which has many of the same attributes (although no ABS), but weighs over 200 lbs less than the Honda and gets better fuel economy with about the same range on 7 litres less on-board fuel.

2. 2017 Suzuki SV650 - the liquid-cooled vee-twin Suzuki SV650 was in production from 1999 to 2022 (so, that, lemme see...23 years) and has just been replaced in their production lineup by a 270-degree vertical twin. As far as I am aware, it has no known weaknesses or vices and still stacks up very well against competitor bikes that cost a lot more. It is powerful (75 hp) and fast and it has safe, steady and agile handling. It has terrific features like a decent seat, good fuel capacity (nearly 16 litres), sensible footpeg placement and handlebar geometry and triple-disc brakes with ABS. It is easy to maintain, parts are cheap and there are a ton of aftermarket farkles available, plus it is dead-nuts reliable and virtually unkillable. Suzuki has sold an absolute crap-load of SV650s over the years to the point where there are "boy-racer" classes for them at almost every track. It is big and powerful enough for touring, yet small and economical enough for commuting - and it is a ball to ride.
I bought my SV650 new in the fall of 2017 and it came with a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty and a $500 pre-paid gas card for fuel - such a deal! I really liked it, but for some reason, I always chose the XS650 when I went riding and didn't need the size and range of the ST1300....so in 2019, I sold the SV to a riding buddy whose bike had died. He still has it and has enjoyed it for nearly 50,000 km with no issues at all. He rides it regularly two-up with his wife and they love it.
2017_Suzuki-SV650A.jpg

IMO, the SV650 will be the next practical, universal classic motorcycle - just as the XS650 is now. The SV650's combination of availability, performance, simplicity, durability and reliability, coupled with its affordability is what will keep lots of them around in 30-50 years - just as was the case with the XS650 of the 1970-83 period. When I had the SV, I contemplated doing a side-by-side comparison of it and the XS650 - but work kept intruding.

Pete

Last edited:
Well if you go back to post #119 you can see the Ryker my wife was riding. Well it came due for it's first service/oil change and she got talking to salesman who sold her the Ryker, not always a good idea!

Well a few days later she traded the Ryker in on a Spyder:

Spyder.jpg

She seems to like it and the back seat is not too bad for me! Even managed to sell one of Sportster, one that I bought new in 1987 and now has around 120,000 miles on it. Got about half what the bike cost new in 1987!

Old news but over the last 3 years: 2013 Suzuki 650 VStrom 9.5/10; 2019 Ducati 800 Scrambler (didn’t keep it long enough to give it a rating -lol) and old news: 2023 Moto Guzzi V7 850 E5 - so far 9/10 (downsides - annoying vibration around 3-3,500 rpm through handle bars; clunky tranny (but I’ll get used to it)). The MG “appears” to run better as the miles are added on. It only has 2,000 km / 1,200 miles on it. Build quality doesn’t seem as high as the Ducati. Mainly seen in cheap materials used for the headlight bucket and other plastic bits. I’d love to get a V100 Moto Guzzi but I‘ve told myself no (for now). I do miss the VStrom
IMG_3796.jpeg
IMG_1372.jpeg
IMG_2147.jpeg

Last edited:
Back