Monster Brat Build

Nice job Jim, I live very close to you and am working on my own project. Not a bobber but a tracker type build. I live in Chanhassen.

This thing is looking sick !

Thanks guy's.

I am still on hold until I recover from my Hernia, so not much to report.

I did pick up a complete front end from an xs750 or 850 special (dual front disks, leading axle) at the swap meet last Saturday. I know it is not a direct swap, but its not to hard to swap the stem from one triple tree to the other, so I may do that.

I did see a couple of really nice XS650 based bikes at the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club show. (there were 7 or 8 total being shown) so here are a couple of photos.

full

full

I haven't been getting much done on my build. I did spend some time making some custom wheel and disc brake spacers for a couple of guys building street trackers with GSXR front ends. I think they turned out pretty well.
full

full

full

Here is my Latest.
I picked up a complete XS400 rear end from craigslist. Swing arm, drum brake 16" rear wheel, tire, brake linkage, the works. I have been looking for an 81 XS650 drum brake mag with out much luck. Now I know that the XS400 rear wheel is not a direct swap because axles are different sizes etc. But from my research the swing arms are the same width at the mount so I figured it would be an easy swap if I did everything.

It was and it wasn't. The swing arm fit fine in the XS650 frame. Had to use the 650 swing arm shaft because it was longer. The Shocks had to be modified slightly to fit the 400 lower shock mount (new Bushings). Not sure how the sprockets are going to line up yet. So here is a Picture.

full

The fender is sitting on a couple of pieces of foam. It would be mounted much closer to the tire if I go this route. Also, The XS400 tire is a little smaller then the XS650 tire, and the rim is 1/2 inch narrower.

Now that I had the drum brake rear end I have wanted, I decided to mock up the dual disc brake front end. So I took the XS750 front end I picked up a few weeks back, Knocked the stock lower tapered roller bearing off the bottom triple, and mounted it up to my frame. The XS750 front end is quite a bit different from the XS650 (Besides dual brakes)in that the forks are 36mm, air over hydraulic, leading axle, longer, etc. So here is a picture of the Front end (minus the Calipers Etc.)

full

Now it is time for you guys to share your thoughts and opinions.

Should I use the XS400 rear end or keep looking for a drum brake XS650 rear end or use the XS650 Disc brake rear end?

Which front end?

The XS650?

full

Or the XS750?

full

Let me know what you all think

This is looking awesome Quick!
I like the 750 as well. Stance and the dual disc. Great look in my opinion.

And that's ONE HECK of a good looking 400 rear! :thumbsup:

This is looking awesome Quick!
I like the 750 as well. Stance and the dual disc. Great look in my opinion.

And that's ONE HECK of a good looking 400 rear! :thumbsup:

Wester,
Welcome to XS650 forum.
I agree, it is a good looking 400 rear.

Thanks!

Keep me in mind as you start your build for the stuff we talked about. I had surgery yesterday to repair my hernia so I will be laid up a couple of weeks.

I like the 750 as well. Is that 400 rear end swingarm as big as the 750? I am sure you already know the 750 is a swap for the 650.

Not to sure on the size of the 750 swing arm vs. the 400 swing arm vs. the 650 swing arm. I know I looked up some parts cross references before I bought this from Wester,
and the XS400 swing arm and the xs650 swing arm use the exact same part numbers for the swing arm bush, so I am sure they are the same width. I thought the 750 was shaft drive.

I haven't been getting much done on my build. I did spend some time making some custom wheel and disc brake spacers for a couple of guys building street trackers with GSXR front ends. I think they turned out pretty well.

Those parts are nice; now we need some spacers for the rear 19" conversion. :lol:

One of my first posts to XS650.com was looking for opinions on what tank I should use.

I had picked up a Gilera basket case at a garage sale, and one of the things that was included was the tank. The original bike looked like this;

full

The basket case I got was the frame, the tins and not much else. No motor, no wheels, no seat, only half the triple tree. in really awful shape. everything covered in brown primer.

Here is my test fit on the XS650 frame before I started cutting off brackets and stuff;

full

I like the overall size of the tank, and it has a unique shape that I think will look good on a bobber, so I think I will go for this. It fits really nice with the old tank bracket in front trimmed off.

full

I also tried the tank from my old 1971 Yamaha HT1b Enduro. (Another of the Bikes in my basement).

full

Jim in Minnesota
Hi man. Bike looks great. What are the measurement Meir meant measurement

Yamaha XS650 Weld On Brat Kit​

With my build direction (Swingarm Bobber or Brat depending on what you want to call it) set, I ordered up the Monster Craftsman brat kit

http://www.monstercraftsman.com/yamaha-xs650-weld-on-brat-kit/

And got to work on the frame. Trimming tabs, grinding welds etc. All the ugly came off the frame.

When kit arrived a couple of days later, I went ahad and chopped off the back end and fit the kit. Which generated this thread from me.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25140

But, with a little more fitting it was looking good and I welded it up.

full

full

full

I like It.

Jim in Minnesota
hi man, bike looks great. Can u tell me what r the measurement of this brat kit.

Hi man. Bike looks great. What are the measurement Meir meant measurement

Yamaha XS650 Weld On Brat Kit​

hi man, bike looks great. Can u tell me what r the measurement of this brat kit.

This thread is 9 years old, OP hasn't been active in 7.

Back