Motor Stand

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I want to make an engine stand and have seen some goo plans on here for various types.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703

Two quetsions:

1. Is there different mount bolt positions between the years for the motor? I have noticed there is a ¼" variation in the spacing between front to back holes. 6"+
Also someone had a 71 that didn't fit a TC Bros stand, a 78 was a force fit and an 81 fit fine.

2. What bolts do you use with a 7/16" hole for the mounts?

I am hoping to get my bike soon, 78 Special, and want to make up the stand ready with bolts for mounting.

I notice there are fame differences between models.

Attachments

• xsframes.jpg
    xsframes.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 192
The front to rear spacing varies depending on which upright dimensions you use. 6" works with the uprights in the 1st post of the thread you linked to. 6 1/4" is needed for the different upright lengths in post #10 here .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3664

I prefer the upright lengths in the 1st post because the engine sits level.

I've used my stands on '71, '78, '80, and '81 motors. They fit them all so I don't think there were any changes to the motor mount spacing over the years.

I use factory engine bolts or 3/8" all-thread rod.

hi you could buy a supercheap engine stand ,,and simply add on the fabrication to support the xs650 motor..and thos stands rotate 360 degree ,, i,ve had a full 302 windsor in 1 and stripped /rotated it and it was comfortable to work on and also not expensive ..... regards oldbiker

hi you could buy a supercheap engine stand ,,and simply add on the fabrication to support the xs650 motor..and thos stands rotate 360 degree ,, i,ve had a full 302 windsor in 1 and stripped /rotated it and it was comfortable to work on and also not expensive ..... regards oldbiker

I have one of those too. For $10.00 used (you can find them on CL all day long) and then weld up some tabs and you are set :thumbsup:

Back