Muffler help

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I purchased the Mikes Reverse Megaphones and the inside diameter of that pipe is 1.73228 and the outside diameter of my original headers are 1.5748. I need to fill that gap and then clamp them together. Mike's sent out one of those multi--shim things but even when I put that on my header pipe there is still a small gap and when I put the clamp on there it won't clamp up enough to make a nice tight fit---in fact, even when clamping it as tight as I can go, it still will slip off the header pipe.

I think the muffler clamp is limited out but not sure. I have read where I think Leo said to use Harley clamps---not sure if they will tighten it up or not. Another guy on here said to use shims of aluminum like a pop can to tighten it up (well, he said beer cans actually, LOL).

Ideas?

+1 on those Harley clamps. They are pretty heavey duty.

photobucket-3476-1333295621563.jpg

These are the 1.5 pipes from Mikesxs, the 1.5-1.75 exhaust spacer from mikesxs (didn't have much luck with the multi/universal spacers), 1.75 inlet mufflers, and 1.75 Harley exhaust clamps.

Yes, the Harley clamps are about the best out there. Only real problem is they only make them in 1.75 inch. Here's a pic. You can see just how heavy they are made. The spacer on the bolt helps the clamp seal where most just depend on the steel of the clamp.
Leo

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 164
I made the spacers work last night that Mikes sent however, there are gaps in those--I am wondering how much exhaust leak will happen?

This is the same thing I used and had to use two of them to fill the gap. See where it is jagged and comes off---that left a gap in that jagged part.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    57.5 KB · Views: 154
There may be a bit of leakage with the spacers. A bit of carbon build up from running should seal them. You could use a high temp sealer to help seal things up. Look around your local parts store in the exhaust section.
On my home made headpipes I used a short section of 1.75 pipe and welded it on the headpipe so the 1.75 mufflers fit tight before I put on the clamps.
Leo

I purchased the Mikes Reverse Megaphones and the inside diameter of that pipe is 1.73228 and the outside diameter of my original headers are 1.5748. I need to fill that gap and then clamp them together. Mike's sent out one of those multi--shim things but even when I put that on my header pipe there is still a small gap and when I put the clamp on there it won't clamp up enough to make a nice tight fit---in fact, even when clamping it as tight as I can go, it still will slip off the header pipe.

I think the muffler clamp is limited out but not sure. I have read where I think Leo said to use Harley clamps---not sure if they will tighten it up or not. Another guy on here said to use shims of aluminum like a pop can to tighten it up (well, he said beer cans actually, LOL).

Ideas?

had the same problem on 1 muffler then realised even though the screw was as tight as it would go the muffler was still a loose fit...then.light bulb moment i had run out of thread,added a extra washer as a spacer and it tightend right up.mikes had struck again:banghead:

Last edited:
+1 on those Harley clamps. They are pretty heavey duty.

photobucket-3476-1333295621563.jpg

These are the 1.5 pipes from Mikesxs, the 1.5-1.75 exhaust spacer from mikesxs (didn't have much luck with the multi/universal spacers), 1.75 inlet mufflers, and 1.75 Harley exhaust clamps.

Don't mean to hijack, but I gotta know- is that hanger setup pictured above the basically stock setup? Mine were hung with perforated metal strapping when I got it, and I'll be hanging them back on in a few weeks. My passenger pegs have had those lower mounting holes/flange cut off-looks like I need a set of uncut ones to go with the above shown method.

Don't mean to hijack, but I gotta know- is that hanger setup pictured above the basically stock setup? Mine were hung with perforated metal strapping when I got it, and I'll be hanging them back on in a few weeks. My passenger pegs have had those lower mounting holes/flange cut off-looks like I need a set of uncut ones to go with the above shown method.

This picture was originally taken to illustrate my muffler mount. On the stock 78 the passenger foot peg has a bracket that mounts to the muffler with two bolts. So that’s a non stock muffler that has one of those slider bolt mounts. Originally, due to alignment, I used one bolt going through one of the holes in the foot peg mount to the muffler. That popped out on me. So I got a piece of steel bar stock. Dilled two holes to line up with the foot peg mount, and a third to mount further down the slider. I bought a couple of bolts where the heads were slightly too large to fit in the slider, then ground down the two opposing side so they fit in the slider real tight. So the back two bolts are mounted in the slider (one through the foot peg), then the front bolt through the bar stock and the foot peg.
Now, that muffler is NOT coming off!

That's sorta how I mounted my mufflers. On my set up the stock mount lined up pretty much centered on the muffler mount. I just drilled extra holes in the mount that lined up with the ends of the slots on the muffler. And as Grepper said use bolts, carriage bolts, they have a rounded head with a square section under the head. This square part fits the slot in the muffler so it holds the bolt while you tighten the nut.
No steel strap used.
Leo

The front mounting hole on the sort of equilateral triangle shaped late model Standard hangers is pretty far forward, usually too far to catch the sliding track on an aftermarket muffler. If you're going to be shopping for some, a better choice would be early 650 ones or TX/XS500 ones. Their forward mounting hole is further back .....

TX650A-XS650BPipeHanger.jpg

XS500PipeHanger.jpg

I like to attach my aftermarket mufflers using a drilled and tapped length of bar stock slid into the track. This distributes the clamping force along the whole track. Two bolt heads in the track didn't last long for me, they broke out in a few hundred miles .....

MuffMount.jpg

Back