My Build: A Pandemic Project

@xjwmx Well whining like a bitch isn't going to change the fact that you're welcome to save every bike you want, but I took a bike that was sitting, turned it into a daily driver, enjoyed the project immensely, found a buyer who appreciated my efforts, and in the end had a summer of learning and experiences that cost me nothing. If you can't see a gain in there, I'd suggest moving along.

Really good work there, an inspiration for others to get the tools out. Do you expect to tackle another project?
Thanks man. Nothing on the books yet. Just been watching your countryman's documentaries/series about around the world motorcycle travel (Long Way Around...Down...Up). I think that means I need an adventure before another project.

@xjwmx Well whining like a bitch isn't going to change the fact that you're welcome to save every bike you want, but I took a bike that was sitting, turned it into a daily driver, enjoyed the project immensely, found a buyer who appreciated my efforts, and in the end had a summer of learning and experiences that cost me nothing. If you can't see a gain in there, I'd suggest moving along.

your upset that someone on the internet doesn’t like your motorbike??? You put it on a public forum, if you built it for approval or a pat on the back, probably not a good reason to do anything really.

We got a good solid original bike, gave it a rattle can paint job and strapped on a bunch of amazon parts - that’s probably not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea, I wouldn’t get too upset that some folks aren’t into it.

Melmwood, it would be so cool to do some of those long trips but safety is now the big issue. I can imagine myself crossing Siberia on a DNEPR with side car. You are so lucky to have all of North America open to you. I would like the Nevada, Utah, Texas and California desert scenery. My South to North Wales trip got stomped on this year by Corona but a new year beckons.

@Paul Sutton Oh absolutely. If I had the support system those guys had - support vehicles, unlimited budget, and behind-the-scenes State Dept connections to make sure they aren't murdered - I would consider a major trip with a buddy in the developing world. But in reality, I'm happy to stick to US and Canada...or getting over to your part of the world (when things are open again) and wandering around for a bit.

your upset that someone on the internet doesn’t like your motorbike???

Upset? No. But I also think these forums do better when critical feedback serves a purpose (i.e. "you should have tried doing X instead of what you did, would have looked so cool"). You want to pointlessly complain about bikes being modified, start a thread on that and complain to your heart's content.

But even you, in trying to defend the other guy, show your true colors trying to mock the rattle can use (which a good paint job can be achieved when done right) or Amazon items - like yeah, the headlamp and seat fabric came from them, but so did the Pro Taper bars (actually I returned those and went with Dennis Kirk...can't remember why). Maybe you don't like the economical shocks from 4into1 that work just fine? Or the $10 gum barrel grips from Modern Moto? Besides, MikesXS only sells so much...Most guys are on a budget, and I'd rather encourage other guys to tackle a project, even if it's not my style, than troll around.

Last edited:
I don't whine. Out of curiosity, let me ask you a question. Would you have done it with the showroom 1970 I mentioned?

P.S. If not, then you understand me. I don't mean anything about your skills etc., which look to be good

P.S. If not, then you understand me. I don't mean anything about your skills etc., which look to be good

I assume I wouldn't have if it's how you describe being a showroom bike. I found a bike under budget that looked like many other XS650's I saw while searching - finding a stock bike doesn't seem tough. It was all there, but needed work everywhere as well, except the engine which was solid (the only really thing I wanted when shopping). And as I mentioned in my first post, my preceding bike to this was a mostly stock CB350 that I didn't want to chop up - I liked it's look, but I also just wanted a bike to learn to ride and rode it for 5 years. So I'm in both camps - I like seeing original bikes, but I also like seeing builds. And, like many folks, many builds aren't for me. I knew going in I wasn't going stock for this project. And for $1,100 it wasn't like I was getting a showroom example that should be left alone.

^That's reasonable. If you'd taken a $110 dollar bike where you added parts instead of replacing parts, you'd get a loud standing ovation from all corners. We're social animals, and we like heroes

Based upon current social trends being pushed by media and politicians alike, everyone is a hero these days. The world needs less of them, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Saving something worthy of love is the definition of hero though. I agree the word is used a lot, but people know when it really applies and when it doesn't.

Maybe I`ve missed something but are there any pictures of the bike??

Back