My first Cafe Racer

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, little bit of an introduction for myself as this being my first post. My name is Jason Reid I live in Joliet Illinois originally from Chicago and used to live in southern Illinois for about 15 years before moving back up closer to home.

Back when I was 16 a best friend and I took an entire weekend 2 day riding course at SIU to get our M's on our license at the time was unheard of because you have to be 18 to get the M unless you take the courses. Ive rode dirtbikes, enduro's, crotchrockets, harleys, atv's, gokarts, scooters, mopeds, skateboards, bicycles, rollerblades, rollerskates, just about anything and everything with wheels.

One day several years ago (10) I was on my sisters cbr600 that had a bad back tire and bad back brakes riding through the country with 2 other friends of mine, I was doing about 155mph when my friend riding with me on a 900RR just took off and left me. Well I continued for a bit before knowingly coming up to a T intersection, I had lifted off quite early, my friend was already sitting at the stop sign and my other friend was well behind me, I started to brake and all of a sudden the back brake locked up, I couldn't get on the front brakes enough and it was too late for an adequate stop after making about a pretty cool 75ft black skidmark that remained at the intersection as a token momento for years to come after, while sliding on the back tire I layed the bike down, I then layed on top of the bike, slid right past my friend stopped at the intersection, slid right through the intersection and when the bike hit the gravel and grass just on the otherside of the road it stopped and I flew up to my feet for a perfect dismount without as much as a scratch, bruise, roadrash, or grass stain. It wasn't my first rodeo but the most eye opener. I ended up having to have my sisters boyfriend pick up the bike with her truck. Luckily it wasn't far from home. I subsequently had to sell my Honda Enduro to pay for the damages to her bike which she soon sold thereafter and that was the last I ever rode a motorcycle.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago when my Land Rover Discovery got totaled by an unfortunate hit and run by an unresponsible teenager at 2:00 in the morning on a school night. The insurance check from All State for totaling it out and the summer approaching gave me the bug. Searched and searched for the bike I wanted to get by my birthday the 12th. I was looking at Harley iron 883's, Nightsters, Forty Twos, brand new Triumph Bonnevilles, a original CB750, a yamaha xs650 bobber rat rod some kids built. I was leaning towards something more eclectic than a production line bike thousands of other people have. I like originality, I like history, things that actually mean something. I didn't want just any old bike. Then this one popped up forsale on Craigslist and at first I thought it was a scam. I knew I wanted it from the pictures. So I shot the email to contact the owner about buying it and sure enough its the real deal. Then the current owner brought it by where I work last night for me to check it out in person. There was no question then I wanted it. The bike is better than it can possibly look in the pictures. Immaculate rebuild on the entire bike all the way down to every single bolt being stainless steel allen head and the tank graphics being under the clear coat.

So without further adieu, I take delivery on the bike tomorrow after work. Its going to be the longest two days at work in my life.

It has a pretty cool little feature here back in 2008.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/11/18/xs650-cafe-racer-and-street-tracker-conversions/

Several small things have been changed but not too much.

Also if you google image search "xs650 cafe racer" its the very first bike that comes up :)

xs650_2.jpg

xs650_1.jpg

Motor2.jpg

Motor1.jpg

xs650_3.jpg

xs650_4.jpg

It"s a nice looking bike,I think this is the same bike that was for sale on ebay a year or two ago.

Thats a keeper. I cant remember the last time I saw a motor that clean. Like the V.W. too those are great little cars and really easy to work on.

Spent some time down at SIU Myself, Lots of great places to ride down there. We used to take off on our enduros on weekends and explore the Shawnee forest area. Ended up in Kentucky a couple times with barely enough gas money to make it home.

Back