My homebrew kicker spring retainer fix

Firerunner

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I stumbled across some old photos of a fix I did on my first XS650, and I thought I would share. I don't know if I got this idea from someone out there on the interwebz or if it was just my idea, but it seems to have worked.

The symptoms were these- I kicked, and the kicker then failed to return. This isn't an uncommon problem, and I went about fixing it by pulling the side cover and trying to reset or replace the kicker return spring. The problem was, the portion of the case that was designed to be hooked by the spring, thus keeping in tension had broken off. The bike was a '71, so just using the non-existent electric start wasn't an option.

I had to come up with something, so I CAREFULLY drilled a hole into the case where it appeared to have a relatively thick spot.

100_0887.jpg

100_0886.jpg

I then tapped the thread and installed a hex head screw and a washer.
100_0888.jpg
100_0889.jpg
100_0890.jpg

I played with a couple of different combinations. One of the things that I didn't want, was a lot of pressure on the end of the screw without bracing it as well as I could to the side of the case. I also found that I could hook the spring on the stud, but that the angle was different, and it was bending the end of the spring. I ended up putting a link (I don't know what it was from. I found it in one of those jars of odds and ends from years of projects) on the stud and came up with this:
100_0922.jpg

I threadlocked the stud, torqued it carefully to 10 lbs, and put a new spring on. I haven't had a problem since.

There is probably a better way to do this, but this seems to have worked fine. YMMV.

FR

Good stuff, and thanks for sharing; I like it. It's guys like this OP that go out of their way to take pictures and do a quick write up that make this site great. It's kinda a pain in the ass to do these things, but I for one appreciate the effort. Cheers to you Firerumner!

I agree with everyone, this is a clever fix. That is a half link for a drive chain, BTW. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Tom Graham

The biggest pain was the innovation. If someone else had already done it, then it would have taken me a third of the time to figure out what I needed to do. The way I figure it, we stop to help each other out on the side of the road, right? Why not do the same thing here? I appreciate the kind words.

It looks like someone has repaired the kick shaft stop in the case as well. Notice the cut lines? Any info on that repair?

It may be because it is late, but I'm not catching what you are throwing. Which lines?

Back